Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

DCX - Firmware upgrade, both fabrics or one at a time?

I'm curious to see what others are doing in regards to upgrading their switches.  We're currently running 6.4.2 and planning on moving to 6.4.2b in the near future.  We've always taken a more cautious approach by upgrading one Fabric, allowing time to 'burn in' and make sure there are no issues, then upgrading the other Fabric.  We have introduced 6.4.2b into our Test environment with no issues thus far, but again we usually take a cautious approach in production.  We recently had some discussion with our offsite company that manages a seperate SAN, and their thought ishat having different Firmware versions could also introduce some issues.

I'm curious to know how others handle firmare upgrades?

Thanks!

External Moderator

Re: DCX - Firmware upgrade, both fabrics or one at a time?

Todd,

---->>>We're currently running 6.4.2 and planning on moving to 6.4.2b..

I don't know you Fabric Environments, however if you have a look in v6.4.2a and b Release Notes, - excepted a couple of defect - most closed defect are related to BES/Encryptions, some Blade Switch, almoust Routing Plattforms 7500, 7800, FX8 Blade, and Brocade 8000/FCoE Issue.

Second, the Release is almouts 1 and half year Old, and from my point of view not make sense to take such upgrade by minor release 6.4.2 to 6.4.2a

--->>>We recently had some discussion with our offsite company that manages a seperate SAN, and their thought ishat having different Firmware versions could also introduce some issues.

About different FOS Release, surely make more sense to have same FOS release beetwen the Fabric, however I handle diverse Customer which have more Fabric ( 4G, 8G and 16G Plattforms ) with different FOS Release and all work fine.

Finally, if you planned to Upgrade the FOS, then you should upgrade to one most NEW data release, i.e. v6.4.3c if you want to remain on FOS v6.x or Migrate to the latest FOS v7.0.2a

This is my opinion.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

I really appreciate your input.  I believe the main reason we're upgrading the FOS is for an issue with port flapping/negotiating issue, which this version has a fix for.  I do agree if going through the process of an upgrade, it would make more sense to move to a newer release.

I will look into the new v6 releases and see what fixes/enhancements there are.

Thanks again,

Todd

Frequent Contributor

Hi Todd!

I have moved your discussion thread to the Data Center SAN Forum as that will be the best place for you and others users to find this particular discussion thread. This forum is for non-product related questions.

Thank you for using Brocade Communities!

Cheers,

Grace Chang

Global Community Manager

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook