Fibre Channel (SAN)

N/A

Current troughput from SNMP

I have one tool working on Windows machines which is converting SNMP traps to Windows performance counters. I would like to have there also current troughput as it is for example in performance monitor (basic monitoring -> port troughput) available trough the web tool from the switch . So my questions are: does any one knows which oid returns such a values? Or which combinations of OIDs would give me this value? I cannot find such a information in MIB reference manual <!graemlin::(>

Frequent Contributor

Re: Current troughput from SNMP

there are 4 OIDs usable for this:All four oids are defined in the Brocade Registration MIB (BRCD_v5_0.mib)

Occasional Contributor

Why is it that multiplying by 4 on the SWFCPortTXWords gets you Bytes/per second....just curious what unit the 4 represents.... thanks for any education you might be able to give on this.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

There are 4 bytes in a word, just like 8 bits in a byte, so that would make 32 bits in a word.

Occasional Contributor

Gotcha, that's what I was looking for!! Thanks very much for the reply.So you subtract 28,000 - 12,000 = 16,000 bytes transferred during that 30 second window. Wouldn't you have to divide 16,000/30 to get the bytes per second?

Frequent Contributor

Not exactly. A 30 second average is not the same as the instantaneous rate. Your equation definitely gives you the average over the past 30 seconds and if that is what you are looking for that is great. Do not confuse it with the instantaneous rate though. Traffic is harldy ever a constant number, it varies quite a bit. I like to tell people to imagine a 7 Hz sine wave (simple and easy to grasp, but of course traffic is not that neat or regular), and do a thirty second average on that and compare the actual value of the wave at time 0, 10, 20, and 30 to your average. That example shows the apples and oranges of the two values. I only bring this up because peple will make your calculation and then compare it to portperfshow which is a 1 second capture of the traffic on the port and notice there is a difference.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook