Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Creating Redundancy

Hello,

I am by no means an expert in this arena so I am asking for help.

I have 2 Brocade switches (purchased through HP)

1 - Storageworks 8/40 - New

1 - Storageworks 4/32 - Old

What I am trying to decide is whether to keep these in seperate fabrics and just run one connection from our servers and storage system to each switch or to create 1 fabric with the 2 switches. I do have 1 more Storageworks SAN switch (again it really is a brocade) that is on its own and I wasn't wanting to use it if I don't have to but if that would make a better mesh fabric I will but I am looking for any guidance that can be provided.

Thank you all!!!

Super Contributor

Re: Creating Redundancy

Hi Brian,

it depends on your requirements. It is nice to have two separate fabrics so you can run FOS updates without any pain if ALL servers are connected to both fabrics. An extension is also possible without affecting the servers, because you have a second fabric....

You have no single point of failure. This sounds like a HA solution. I would recommend to run both switches on the same FOS code level.

Keep in mind, if you have a single fabric you need ISLs to connect both switches. The Zoning DB and some fabric services are the single point failure.

I hope this helps.

Andreas

New Contributor

Hi Andreas,

My thoughts were the same in thinking that the 2 seperate fabrics would provide the best solution so thank you for confirming my thoughts!!!

I have the licensing to do the ISL's but if I don't need to use them now then I won't and just go with the 2 fabric design. Like you said I can then extend one of the fabrics without taking the system down.

Thank you for your help!!

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Definately you should have 2 fabrics. When possible 2 paths are always better than one. It's more of a "best practice" type configuration.

New Contributor

One more question. Since I will have the 2 seperate fabrics will I need to duplicate the zoning between the 2 or can I configure one different then the other to clean it all up? I am inheriting an older switch and the zoning is very open so I want to restrict it down a little more but don't want to take everything down at once to clean up.

Occasional Contributor

They should be different as you want one one fabric for one path and the other fabric for the other path. Ideally you want 2 paths for the storage. Zone in one HBA to one fabric and the other HBA to the other fabric. Of course each HBA should have a different FS port in the zone as well. This is best practice for redundancy.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook