Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Creating ISL with different speed switches

Hey folks, we have a set of brocades that are 4GB. We recently purchased two new brocades that are capable of 8GB.

We want to merge the two via an ISL but we are not sure how this will impact the speeds.

If we do an ISL will the 8GB capable switches be only able to operate the 4GB so that all speeds are the consistent?

Super Contributor

Re: Creating ISL with different speed switches

Greetings federico.arismendi.  Unless you have configured a fixed speed, Brocade switches will auto-negotiate the port speed.  In this case, 4 Gb.  You can refer to the "port login" section of the FOS Admin Guide for a description of the process.

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/FOS_AG_710/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=fcs.07.7.html

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
Super Contributor

To preview the port speed, you can use portcfgshow:  http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/FOS_CMDREF_710/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=commands_a_z.4.276.html

You can also use switchshow (specifically look for 'speed'):  http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/FOS_CMDREF_710/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=commands_a_z.4.383.html

Please feel free to ask any additional follow up questions you may have.

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
Occasional Contributor

Great, thank you.

So if I configure the port speed to 8GB on the 2 new switches I can merge two sets of switches and half will run at 4GB (old ones)  and the others at 8GB (new ones)?

Valued Contributor

Hi,

To connect a 4GB switch to a 8GB switch, you should force the speed to 4G in both ends.

To connect two 8G switchs, you should force the speed to 8G in both ends of the ISL.

YOu can also set everything to Auto-negotiate and the ISL will stablish at the highest supported speed in both ends, but I personally recommend to fix the speed manually.

Rgds

Occasional Contributor

Thanks felipon that was the answer I was looking for. I was basically asking if I could take advantage of the new 8GB switch speed when I we do an ISL to existing 4GB switches. What I am hearing is that it is not possible. All switches in an ISL must operate at the same speed that is supported across all switches. Correct?

External Moderator

--->>>So if I configure the port speed to 8GB on the 2 new switches I can merge two sets of switches and half will run at 4GB (old ones)  and the others at 8GB (new ones)?

Speed is a Port, and have nothing to do with Zoning.

Zoning is just a part of config.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

So can I have a 4 switch ISL with 2 switches running at 4GB  and two others at 8GB?

External Moderator

isl can be formed between all supported Switch and FOS Release.

No matter which Speed.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook