Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Converting IBM BladeChassis Brocade switch module from switch to access gateway. How to load balance?

I have recently converted a switching module in an IBM BladeCenter to Access Gateway mode and have uplinked it to a Brocade top-of-rack switch.  Everything is working as designed but, because of default port mappings, nine of the eleven installed blades are using one of two uplink paths.  I've been reading the AG admin guide and trying to understand how the mappings work.

Ultimately, what I'd like is for all blades to be evenly load balanced between the two paths.  Do I need to enable device mapping?  I have read that port mapping must -always- exist.  Does device mapping supersede it?  What steps should I take to enable device mapping and how disruptive is it please?

I'm attaching a display of the access gateway devices display from Webfoot's.  Any assistance or guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

jrmoore@corus360.com

Regular Contributor

Re: Converting IBM BladeChassis Brocade switch module from switch to access gateway. How to load balance?

Hi Jrmoore,

the best way is to use F-Port Trunking. For this you need the Trunking license and you have to have the N-Ports in the same Portgroup. (so not port 0 and port 15).

Other way is to change the mapping. So put half of the F-Ports to one N-Port and the other half to the other N-Port. Enable Failover.

This is disruptive, because the Hosts will be logged out during the Re-Mapping.

Kind Regards
Ralf
Contributor

Re: Converting IBM BladeChassis Brocade switch module from switch to access gateway. How to load balance?

You might also check if a Ports On Demand (POD) License is needed.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook