Accepted Solution

Connecting new b-type SAN switch to existing fabric issues

We have existing fabric with in the following configuration:

fabricshow
Switch ID Worldwide Name Enet IP Addr FC IP Addr Name
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1: fffc01 10:00:00:05:1e:05:bd:79 XXXX 0.0.0.0 >"Main_B16"
11: fffc0b 10:00:00:05:1e:05:d7:a2 XXXX 0.0.0.0 "Subordinate_B16"

There MAIN_B16 is Principal and Reserve_B16 is Subordinate Fabric OS: v6.2.2e. Both switches are of IBM SAN16B-2. These switches are connected with Long Distance trunk.

Building a new cascade connection with new switch with FabricOS Fabric OS: v7.0.1.

Physically connecting to Subordinate_B16 subordinate switch with short distance cable. New switch is IBM SAN24B-5.

While connecting new switch to Subordinate_B16 switch getting the following error message of: incompatible flow control parameters (2).

Domain ID are different and comparing fabric parameters I see the only difference is in longdistance settings.

Subordinate_B16
fabric.ops.mode.longDistance:1

New Subordinate_B24
fabric.ops.mode.longDistance:0

Regular Contributor

Re: Connecting new b-type SAN switch to existing fabric issues

If i'm not mistaken the parameter fabric.ops.mode.longDistance is deprecated from FOS 6.3 onwards.

Any longdistance settings are now made on a per port basis with portcfglongdistance command

New Contributor

So does it mean that the only issue now is a firmware on interconnecting devices? Is it ok to connect another switch to Subordinate switch in the fabric?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

In another thread I read that from Brocade POV FOS6 and 7 are compatible.

However these are IBM branded switches and you should read IBM support notes on this subject to know exactly, alternatively you can call IBM as well.

New Contributor

Thank you for reply! But one final question. Is it acceptable that I'm cascading switches connection and connecting new switch to the switch which is Subordinate in the Fabric? 

Regular Contributor

yes this is supported.

Valued Contributor

hi,

from what i know... although the fabric.ops.mode.longDistance setting is really obsolete, it still has some meaning. so i suggest you change it to 1 on your new switch and i hope it will get connected after that.

good luck!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.