Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Connecting new Brocade 5300 to an existing BR5000 Fabric

Hi all,

we bought new Brocade 5300 FC Switches with FOS 7.0.0c and want to add it to an existing Fabric built on two BR5000 and one BR200E with FOS 6.0.0.

Is there something important we have to be aware, especially regarding the different FOS Levels. Connecting a new FC Switch to an existing Fabric is not that

thing, because we know we have to assign a different domain id, clear the configiruation and so on, but I found no manual regarding solving the problem with different FOS Levels. Updating the existing BR5000 is no solution because as far as I know they don't support FOS 7.x.x, so if necessary I assume we have to downgrade the new BR5300 switches. Is there a manual for performing all the necessary task, to add the new 5300 switches to an existing 5000 fabric so that they overtake the Zoning configuration from the existing fabric with no interruption of the production?

Any advice I appreciate.

Thx a lot

SH

Valued Contributor

Re: Connecting new Brocade 5300 to an existing BR5000 Fabric

Hi

Check the vendor compatibility matrix and FOS release notes in order to check the compatiblity with previous codes. I do recommed you to, instead of downgrading the new 5300, upgrade the existing 5000 and 200E no a higher (and more reliable release).

Rgds

New Contributor

Hi,

thanks for your reply... Updating the old 5000 switches is not really an option, because first, the system- and applicationowner don't want this and second, there are running systems which are only cabled with one active path.

The customer knows about this issue, and thats why he didn't any update in the past and the switches are still running on the very old 6.0.0 software level. In general I would assume, that the new 5300 are backward compatible and can join the existing fabric without any problems, vice versa it would be more complicated I think. But never the less I will check the relase notes and hopefully I find some hints if we have to expect some problems or not.

thx

stefan

New Contributor

...additionally question. Can anybody tell where I can find the Compatibility Matrix for different FOS Versions on the Brocade Website. Unfortunately I can't find them, but strangely I found a document on the HP Site where they mention, that FOS 6.2.2e is the earliest release that is compatible with FOS 7.0.0c. If this is the case what is the best way to add the new BR5300 to the  existing fabric of the Brocade 5000 switches?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook