Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Connect Brocade 24 port switch to Bladecenter Switch (QLogic)

Hi

We have bought a pair of IBM rebadged SAN24B (Brocade 300) along with the full fabric licenses and port expansions.  These switches will be used to connect all existing equipment and some new kit.

We also have a new bladecenter H which has 2 20 port brocade switches in, I havent got to the point of connecting these yet.

Our existing bladecenters have QLogic 20 port switches (4GBSM) in them, when I connect a FC cable between the two devices I get nothing.  The Web Tools shows "No_Sync" on the port and on the other end (QLogic) I see nothin at at. (The web tools are not very indepth on this)

From the command line side on the Brocade I see.

Index Port Address Media Speed StateProto

==============================================

0   0   010000   id8G   In_SyncFC

From the command line side on the QLogic i see.

Admin  Operational  Login  Config RunningLinkLink
  PortState  State   Status Type   Type   StateSpeed
Ext3:16 Online Offline NotLoggedIn GLUnknownInactive Auto

Having read some QLogic manuals it mentions a "transparent" mode, but I am not at the stage where I can go and unplug all the QLogic cables and reconnect them in the Brocades yet so was hoping to avoid this until neccessary.

Any advise on this?

EDIT TO ADD QLOGIC SWITCH SPEED

Eli
Contributor

Re: Connect Brocade 24 port switch to Bladecenter Switch (QLogic)

In order to connect the QLOGIC switch to brocade, you need to configure it to work as NPV pass-through (or "transperent mode" as Qlogic call it).

You can enable it under "Advanced Switch Proporties" on the Qlogic GUI.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Eli,

All I see on the davanced switch properties is timeout values and interop mode with options stadard and interop_1.

Also when i come to enable this, does it just made it all pass through? do the zones continue to exist with the deivces currently connected both internally and externally?

Eli
Contributor

I am not an expert at QLOGIC switches, but enabling "transperent mode" is distruptive operation (the switch reboots), and the switch become "stupid" pass-thorough. Of course that all zones deleted, and you will need to manage all zones from Brocade.

You will see all devices that are connected to the Qlogic as devices in the brocade switch- and will manage and maintain all their zones from brocade.

Hello,

please when you tell that we put a qlogic as transparent mode?

where we can find this parameter in a qlogic 4Gb 20ports swicth module FRU:26R0888.

because me I want to connect this qlogic to a brocade switch as full fabric.

Beste regards.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook