Fibre Channel (SAN)

Configuration dump over serial possible? Can you craft a config from a supportsave dump?

I have a switch that has no management network connectivity. In fact I need to try rebooting the switch in order to try fixing it.

That's all well and good, but I need to dump the configuration out of the switch, but as you can guess, that's not going to work when the ethernet connectivity to the management port isn't there.

I know I can make a supportsave dump of the entire switch. My question is, how do I edit the support save so that I can extract the configuration, and potentially reload it into a new switch?

Is there some way I can test this? I simply cannot afford to reboot the switch and not get my management connectivity back. If this fails and I still can't get management connectivity, I am simply going to replace the switch and load the captured configuration on it.

Valued Contributor

Re: Configuration dump over serial possible? Can you craft a config from a supportsave dump?

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that configupload and configshow have the same format.
In turn, configshow output is packaged in *.SSHOW_SYS.txt which is extractable from the supportsave bundle.
You might try digging this deeper. Good luck!
Frequent Contributor

Re: Configuration dump over serial possible? Can you craft a config from a supportsave dump?

Yes, the configshow from a supportsave contains much of the configuration. But how can you gather supportsaves with management network connectivity?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook