Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Changing a Virtual Connect from switch to access gateway

We've got these HP blade chassis that have the Brocade Virtual Connects in them. They are currently operating in native switch mode with their own doamin id's etc... These in turn are connected to some 48K's that we're looking to migrate off of. Since there are available ports on the VC's, we would like to connect them to our DCX fabric as part of a storage refresh. What we don't want to happen is for the VC/48K fabric to merge with the DCX fabric as there would be domain id conflicts etc...Can we simple put the VC's into Access Gateway mode to prevent this? What are my "gotchas" here? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Changing a Virtual Connect from switch to access gateway

A VC can't be put in something as AG mode, because its basically a dumb device.

The Domain ID you're referring to has to do with the blade enclosure.

A VC aggeragates internal ports and you can connect a VC with 1-4 port to the fabric as a dumb device..

A thing you can do with VC's concerning the fabrics is to assgin virtual WWN's top the Mezzazine HBA's or have the use factory default wwn's.

The be sure its not part of the fabric you can do a fabricshow on one of your 48k's. It should not be visible in the output.

Occasional Contributor

After some education, it appears the these things are not VC's, but actually 4024 switches. I guessing I can't just simply put these into AG without blowing away all of the existing zoning. Looks like I may have to merge these fabrics after all. Will the fabric resolve any Domain ID conflicts automatically if persistent domain ID is not enabled? 

Super Contributor

Hello Jerry,

if you have two 4024 in your HP chassis and each is connected to a different fabric you should be able to convert to AG mode.

A procedure can look like this from a high level view.

1) Ensure that you have latest FOS and a supported configuration installed

2) disable one 4024

3) Turn it into AG mode and configure it as you want

4) check if NPIV is enabled on 48K

5) enable AG

6) check if Blades will login to the Nameserver on the 48K

7) check if the servers are using the configured path and sending IOs

9) do the same on the second fabric

10) put the free ports to your DCX

Regards,

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Andreas. Looks like we have some work to do in updating the FOS on these things, they're all at 5.3. I suspect that we can't go to 6.4 in one shot eh?

Super Contributor

Hello Jerry,

these Embedded switches can not run 6.4.x. The highest code is 6.2.x.

You can't update the switches online in a single step. Supported is only 5.3 --> 6.0.x --> 6.1.x --> 6.2.x --> 6.3.x --> 6.4.x

Have a closer look on each release notes. As well check HP website for supported FW versions and recommendations.

Regards,

Andreas

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook