Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Changing Queue Depth on 415/815 HBAs

Greetings.  I have a Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise server with two 415/815 HBAs connected to an HP EVA8100.  The server is also HP (DL580G7).  This is a dedicated SQL server.  I have noticed that my repsonse times for data I/O are off the charts sometimes spiking at over 150ms.  I read that increasing the queue depth to 64 would possible be a way to help eliviate the high response times.  I downloaded the Host Connectivity Manager and installed in on the server.  The problem I am having is that the queue depth option is greyed out and I am unable to change its value.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Kris

Frequent Contributor

Re: Changing Queue Depth on 415/815 HBAs

Hi!

Actually this same question arised yesterday:

http://community.brocade.com/message/20183?tstart=0#20183

As per Brocade, the next version of the software will enable you to set this parameter, it's not possible yet.

Regards,

Contributor

Kris,

Qdepth feature and performance will be implemented in the next driver releases which scheduled for some time next year. The Brocade default qdepth in Windows is set for 32.

New Contributor

Thanks!!

Contributor

Hello Kris,

The queue depth in Host Connectivity Manager (HCM) refers to the maximum number of I/Os that can be queued per physical port. Brocade driver is optimized with default value and hence this control is disabled in HCM. This will be re-enabled in 3.1 release where the user can further fine-tune this value at the physical function level.

To change the queue depth at the LUN level to 64, you can use the BCU utility (default value is 32). Please see below for the usage syntax:

bcu drvconf –key bfa_lun_queue_depth –val 64

Let me know if this works for you. Please send me an email: hvu@brocade.com if you need further help.

N/A

Sorry for bringing this back, but the thread seem to be about the same issue I have.

I have a similar problem with setting the queue depth on a a 815 HBA installed in a Linux system. I have installed the 3.2.1 driver and in the HCM the queue depth option is greyed out. Also I can't find any way of setting or displaying the queue depth with the bcu command?

I noticed that there were a somewhat vague comment in the documentation mentioning that setting queue depth is only available on Windows, is this correct?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook