Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Cascade two blade brocade SAN switches

Dear All,

Since there is a Tape library with one Fibre interface, I would like to share this tape library between two Blade servers Chassis, Chassis A and Chassis B (with blade servers inside). At the beginning,  I attach this tape drive to one of Blade Chassis A Brocade SAN switch, called SAN switch A. Then cascade this SAN switch A to another Blade sever chassis B's Brocade SAN switch, calledSAN switch B.  Is it possible to do this via cascade? any license needed? So all two blade chassis's blade servers can access this tape library

New Contributor

Re: Cascade two blade brocade SAN switches

My first time here, but since I came here with a question about the blade switches (in my case the 8/12 Virtual Connect Modules) I saw this and thought I'd reply.

First, I know there are more than one type of FC Blade modules, so the question is, are these really switches (and acting as individual FC switches) or acting as Gateways (as ours are) or just pass-through modules? It would seem that what you want to do would only work in the first case, where the switches were 'cascaded' via ISL's and actually merged into a single fabric. Then you should be able to zone the tape library to any blade server in either chassis.

Modules in Gateway mode would not support this because the backend connections are intended to be connected to other FC switches as shared bandwidth for the blades, and in the case of pass-through's each port is just a pass-through to each blade Mezz card HBA.

New Contributor

For my case, this is IBM SAN 8G switch (not passthru module), thus, do you mean I should buy ISL Trunk lincense to do this? or I can cascade via Fibre cable?

New Contributor

Ok, since I'm still guessing at a few items in your environment, let me try it this way. From what I know so far, you have 2 blade chassis (unknown model) with Brocade SAN Switches (imbedded modules? what model?), a tape library (unknown model) and possibly another IBM SAN switch 8Gb (or were you referring to the blade switch(es)?).

The 'normal' way of setting this up would be with the blade modules having 1 or more uplinks to the core switch. If the blade modules are in Access Gateway mode I don't believe an ISL license would be required since the AG is not functioning as a 'switch' with a distinct domain. I could be wrong on this license requirement though. Then you would have the tape library attached to the core switch also, and could zone it to servers (blades or VM's) in either or both of the blade chassis.

If you don't have a core switch aside from what's in the blade chassis, then at least one of them would have to *not* be an AG, since an AG doesn't provide normal fabric services like a name server. If both of them are acting as switches and not an AG, then you would indeed be creating ISL(s) when connecting them to each other, and the ISL licensing issue might apply.

The more specifics you can provide, the more helpful others can be    Otherwise, we're just guessing or have to describe every possible scenario.

Occasional Contributor

ahh, i think it will be easy.

But the first, can you answer some questions?

1. You switches non in AG mode?

2. Have your switches there oun effective configurations (config)?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook