Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Can this be recommended best practice?

I have several IBM rebranded 48000's that occasionally log bogus SFP threshold warning alerts.  The alerts claim that either the power, current, temperature, or voltage (or combinations of these) is either too high, or too low.  These are followed by an Informational message that says the SFP is back to normal operating range.

Logged several calls for this over a one year period with IBM (my support provider) and they told me that there are "bad" SFP's out there that generate these warnings, but the SFP is functioning normally.  To correct the problem they recommended replacing the SFP modules that are generating these bogus alerts.  After replacing specific SFP's the warnings stopped.

Now, I have a new batch of SFP's that are generating these alerts.  When I logged this last call IBM is now telling me they are not going to replace the SFP's that are generating these alerts and recommended that I disable the threshold monitoring for ALL ports.  Here is IBM's recommended procedure:

here is the webtools procedure to remove SFP threshold messages from Fabric Watch:

U: Action Plan: Bring up webtools
1- Click on Fabric Watch
2- Click on SFP (left side)
3- Click on Threshold configuration
4- Click Alarm configuration
5- Click custom defined (bottom of page)
6- uncheck below and above in error log column
7- Do this for temperature, RX power, TX power, current and voltage from the drop down.

To me, this does not sound like a good solution to the problem.  My question to readers, does disabling threshold monitoring on all ports on all of my directors sound like a recommended best practice?

Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Can this be recommended best practice?

The default settings are fine and hence I don't see a reason why they ask you to disable FW thresholds for ports. A flapping SFP can cause disastrous effects in the fabric.

Its quite surprising that you see such messages occasionally. Did you check with sfpshow if the Tx/Rx power is fine for these SFP's??

Post a supportshow and I can have a quick look.

N/A

Re: Can this be recommended best practice?

We get the same behavioral with Brocade SFP on Brocade 48000. I discovered the alerts on SFP in

Fabric Watch are coming from the temperature level. We have 7 Brocade 48000 which have been installed

"inverted", that is the air flow is from back to front...The tempshow minimum temperature, the intake air, is

between 25 and 30 degre celcius. 48000 with an intake air under 25 degres have no problem.

SFP are quite sensible to temperature and care must be taken to bring fresh air the the Brocade !

Regards,

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook