10-19-2011 05:03 PM
IHAC currently bought a new SW300(FOS 6.4.2a) SAN switch. They have existing Fabric with SW3250+SW200E(FOS version is 5.0.1b).
They want to add the SW300 as one Fabic.
My questions are:
1. What is best practice for building a Fabric with different model of SAN switch? What is the prerequisite for FOS version?
2. Can I just add SW300 into the Fabic without upgrading the 3250/200E FOS from 5.0.1b to latest FOS?
3. If the answer for Q1 is "NO". Then another question: since 3250 is EOL, how can I download all supported FOS for upgrading?
4. As we know, the latest FOS for 3250 is v5.3.2c. We only can down 5.0.1 and then 5.3.0(but we can not upgrade from 5.0.1b to 5.3.x directly, right?). What is solution?
Thanks for your helps!
10-20-2011 08:18 AM
for 1) see the releasenote
Silkworm 3016, 3250, 3850 and Brocade 3900, 4100, 4900, 24000, 7500, 7500E, 5000, 200E, 48000
v5.3.2 (2G and 4G platforms) and v6.1.0e and later 5 (4G platform
2) theoricaly, no, praticaly , if you have a standart zoning, I thing , it's ok. because , it's ok for 3.2.1c for brocade 3800.
don't do a zoning from old switches. modif from new switch.
3) site brocade
4) 5.0.1b -> 5.2.X -> 5.3.2 I thing for OS 5.X , one upgrade by 2 level.
but we can upgrade swithes online in version 5.X .
10-20-2011 08:27 AM
What do you mean upgrade online? connect the switch in internet access network?
How can I do that? what configure need to be change to achieve this function?
10-20-2011 08:51 PM
I don't want to be a pain in the ass but try to get some new gear. The old switches, even though they are very good, have reached end of life and in some occasions end-of support. This means no bugs will be fixed and interoperabiltiy will get harder by the day.
Be aware you are putting your data and business at risk combining all these unsupported switches. Your choice.
10-21-2011 12:36 AM
Online (in this context) should be red as "non disruptive for FC traffic".
It has nothing to do with internet access
You should try to get rid off the 3250. The 200e is still usable and able to run FOS622e (the 200e cannot run higher FOS levels)