Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Can I change switch IP without affecting the fabric on 4100?

We have a mixture of new and older switches in our redundant fabric. The older switches need to be moved onto a different subnet. Can this be done "on the fly" without affecting the production SAN on the fabric? We have redundant fabrics with everything dual ported. I was trying to plan downtime if needed. The FOS on the switches in question is 6.2  switch type is 32 (4100), if I remember correctly.

Regards,

Louis

Occasional Contributor

Re: Can I change switch IP without affecting the fabric on 4100?

Oh...and "yes I know" dual ported redundant fabric switches will allow for this. Upper managment doesn't want ANY fabric reconfigurations that will generate a fabric event that would cause a failover.

Regards,

Louis

Valued Contributor

I like this

Upper managment doesn't want ANY fabric reconfigurations that will generate a fabric event that would cause a failover.

Then best to never touch anything again which is hooked up to the switches. Your never going to get 100% guarantee, best for upper management to realize that.

That said setting new ipadresses should not impact what so ever, apart from management interface being unavailable for a brief moment.

Make sure you have a working (tested) serial connection in the event something goes wrong (typo in the netmask/gw or whatnot)

The command you're looking for is ipaddrset on the CLI, webtools will allow you to do the same.

Occasional Contributor

Dion.v.d.c,

Additional question: When we have had problems with a switch and it dropped out of the fabric, I have noticed that the fabric tries to find the switch via IP (message on web gui) trying to resolve IP. Will changing the IP, cause the fabric to refresh?

Thanks,

Louis

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook