Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Can I add more Brocade 10-port 8Gb SAN Switch Module to my IBM BladeCenter H

Hello All

I have a Bladecenter H with a Brocade 10-port 8Gb SAN Switch Module (44X1921), and I need more FC ports available to connect a new rack server.

My IBM Bladecenter H has a MSIM installed in bays 7 and 8 of the BladeCenter H chassis, each one with a ethernet card, and one slot available.

Can I add 2 more Brocade 10-port 8Gb SAN Switch Module (44X1921), in that empty slots and gain more FC connections?

Thanks in advance

Brocade Moderator

Re: Can I add more Brocade 10-port 8Gb SAN Switch Module to my IBM BladeCenter H

Hi,

when checking out the SG247523 found at link below, it looks like only 2 FC I/O modules are supported (PDF page 68 - section 2.2.2)

www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg247523.pdf

"Bays 3 and 4 can be used either for standard switch or pass-through modules (such as

Fibre Channel connectivity or extra Ethernet ports) or for bridge modules. These bays are

routed internally to the PCI-X connector on the blades..."

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
New Contributor

Re: Can I add more Brocade 10-port 8Gb SAN Switch Module to my IBM BladeCenter H

Hi Martin

So there´s no way of adding extra FC connections on this Bladecenter. 

You mention that the bays 3 or 4 can become pass-through modules, so if I install two extra FC Cards, and an external FC Switch, for example the Brocade 300 (BR-340-B-0008) I can add two more storage units for example?

Thanks for all the help.

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

I just went back to some othe documentation and FC switch modules are supported in Bay 3,4, and 7,9 - I think when decoding IBM documentation. Baye 3 and 4 surely supports 44X1921/20. I am not a Bladecenter expert, but the Bladecenter H supports up to 4 FC switch modules. 

One options is connect a 300 switch to your bladecenter existing FC connections and then move those original fibre to the 300.

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Brocade Moderator

nice overview at

https://lenovopress.com/tips0996-bladecenter-h#supported-i-o-modules

so FC module to bay 3 and 4, and also to bay 9 and 10 (with extra conditions).

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook