Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can FOS downloaded from HP website be used on non-HP Brocade switches?

I have a customer with non-HP Brocade 6520 switches that are under HP support so Brocade will not allow downloads! 

Hence why I'm asking if using the FOS downloaded from HP is ok. The switches have Brocade licenses installed.

Thanks

Valued Contributor

Re: Can FOS downloaded from HP website be used on non-HP Brocade switches?

the realistic view: all the firmware is the same. maybe except some versions with lots of extra characters after the usual number, e.g. v.7.1.1abc_xyz_35 - but these are usually for blade-chassis embedded switches.
what is different between the vendors' switches are the subtle config parameters. but they are not embedded in the firmware in any way, as said, they are stored in the config.
another difference is that not all the vendors approve the same minor releases of the firmware. but again, this is more about the test lab efforts.
having said that, if HP supports your switches (as you say) you are safe to use the FOS versions downloaded from HP. if something will happen during or after the firmware upgrade, this will be HP problem, because they are supporting your devices.
New Contributor

Re: Can FOS downloaded from HP website be used on non-HP Brocade switches?

Thanks for the response, I actually managed to get a download from Brocade (via IBM site) and compared with HP zip file - exactly the same size when the 2 HP files (EULA and ancollary.txt) were removed. Also the Release Notes on HP website reference the Brocade switches so all good to go.

Thanks again

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.