Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Campus SAN Connectivity

Have a need to install a fabric in two new buildings located approximately 1/4 to 1/2 mile apart and connect them.  Needs to be a cheap solution for the budget that I have.  Does this distance eliminate ISL connectivity?  Should I use a extended fabric license on an appropriate level switdh or would I have to go to a 7800 switch?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Campus SAN Connectivity

Hi Wayne

You can use which ever switch meets your port requirments/budget, What you need is the correct SFPs to push your fabric over the distance. The extend fabric license is really only used for very long distances.

Super Contributor

Re: Campus SAN Connectivity

Hello Wayne,

David is right and I would like to add that it is important to know which bandwidth / IO demand (which kind of traffic) you have between both buildings.

A second important thing is: Did you have sufficient private dark fiber connections between both buildings then you can use Brocade longwave SFPs (cheap) if not you need a CWDM solution with colored SFPs (expensive).

The last point to keep in mind is security if you transport data over public lines.

All my points are directly related to costs....

I hope this helps,

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.