Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Campus SAN Connectivity

Have a need to install a fabric in two new buildings located approximately 1/4 to 1/2 mile apart and connect them.  Needs to be a cheap solution for the budget that I have.  Does this distance eliminate ISL connectivity?  Should I use a extended fabric license on an appropriate level switdh or would I have to go to a 7800 switch?

Thanks.

Wayne

Frequent Contributor

Re: Campus SAN Connectivity

Hi Wayne

You can use which ever switch meets your port requirments/budget, What you need is the correct SFPs to push your fabric over the distance. The extend fabric license is really only used for very long distances.

Regards

David

Super Contributor

Re: Campus SAN Connectivity

Hello Wayne,

David is right and I would like to add that it is important to know which bandwidth / IO demand (which kind of traffic) you have between both buildings.

A second important thing is: Did you have sufficient private dark fiber connections between both buildings then you can use Brocade longwave SFPs (cheap) if not you need a CWDM solution with colored SFPs (expensive).

The last point to keep in mind is security if you transport data over public lines.

All my points are directly related to costs....

I hope this helps,

Andreas

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook