Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

CP Brocade 48K rebooted

Hi,

Can anyone help me to found the solution why on my customer site the CP on 48K is rebooted. I found on

switch events before the CP is reboot this message appear "KSWD-1003" and after that the CP is rebooted

and faulty and failover to standby CP also the traffic is disruptive. for info that our director FOS is running on

v5.3.2c. How it can happen? can something triggered this issue? like DWDM link..etc?

Thank You

Fadli. R

Super Contributor

Re: CP Brocade 48K rebooted

The events prior to the KSWD might give some clues. The warning message accompanying this event will also tell you which daemon died due to an unexpected condition.

You need to look into the release notes of the FOS that supersede the version you are running, for possible bugs that have been detected and fixed.

From the message reference guide.................

KSWD-1003
Message <timestamp>, , <sequence-number>, FFDC, WARNING, <system-name>, kSWD:
<Warning message>.
Probable Cause Indicates a warning state within the system.
A critical application error was reported in the watchdog subsystem. Refer to the string at the end
of the error message for specific information. The switch will reboot (on single-CP switches) or
failover (on dual-CP switches).
The warning message will be any one of the following:
• <Detected unexpected termination of: <daemon name>>
Probable Cause: One of the critical daemons ended unexpectedly.
• <<daemon name> failed to refresh SWD*** Sending SIGABRT to pid <process id number>>
Probable Cause: One of the critical daemons is found to be nonresponsive; sending signal
abort.
Recommended
Action
SIGABRT is the signal thrown by the programs to abort the process. Run the supportSave command
to determine, if any core files were created. If a core file is found, run supportFtp to send all core
files to a secure server location.
Copy the warning message along with any core file information, and contact your switch service
provider.
Severity WARNING
Super Contributor

From supportsave-FFDC file, we can get a clue, but I think the Brocade or ur SW vendor L3 support engineers can guess this. I am sure DWDM or similar equipments can not make a CP reboot.For 48K, ur FOS is very old, you should upgrade it to the latest 6.4.0. I faced similar situation last month and we did not get a clue. Our SW vendor HITACHI changed the CP blade simply before providing any reason.Our FOS is 6.2.0g. 

Super Contributor

Fadli,

as mentioned by Biju,

--->>>You need to look into the release notes of the FOS that supersede the version you are running, for possible bugs that have been detected and fixed.

This issue with message "KSWD-1003" is caused by Fabric OS BUG / DEFECT was detect in FOS v5.3.2a and solved/removed by Brocade in later Release.

This error is caused by simple Dump File and cause Switch Reboot.

In most case, your need to Upgrade the  FOS to eliminate this Message, nothing of CP replacement is required.

With other word, this is not a Hardware Defective

Workaround, is FOS Upgrade.

Before you begin with upgrade, you need to remove any available dump file with "supportftp" command

Note "KSWD-1003" Message was removed from, begin Fabric OS Rel. 6.3 and is not longer available.

If you are satisfied with the responses please mark as 'Answered'.
If not, just let me know I can see to get more info.
I would appreciated if you rate the threads.

Thank you.

Super Contributor

Is this ur core SW ? Even if not, the best way is to contact your SW vendor and let them do a diagnosis in the Brocade back end. This is not  simply a SW but a Director. So do not take this lightly, contact ur SW vendor immediately. They will require the supportsave and also outputs of some cmnds through root.So keep ur one time root password ready, which you must have taken while buying the Dir from the SW vendor.

Super Contributor

Again,

BUG / DEFECT; DETECTED, CLOSED, and REMOVED

In short form, solved by FOS Upgrade.

Defect ID : DEFECT000227048

see attach.

cheers.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook