Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

C3 Frames Discarded at ISL Ports

Hello everybody,

we have 4 DCX Directors in a Two Fabric topology and two datacenters

Between the datacenters the directors are connectet with longwave ISLs. In the last time appear on some ISL ports "C3 Frames Discarded" errors.

In the meantime the errorcounters are at the most ISL Ports on 4-8 erorrs.

Can someone tell me whether these errors are bad, or can we ignore them?

What can cause such errors?

Other errors don´t appear.

Thanks

Regards

Daniel Hafendörfer

External Moderator

Re: C3 Frames Discarded at ISL Ports

I believe this is a FOS Issue.

wath is the currect installed FOS release ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, I forgot to post the FOS version.

The current installed FOS version is v6.2.0g

Thanks

External Moderator

--->>>.....the directors are connectet with longwave ISLs.

The number of Class 3 frames discarded.

Class 3 frames can be discarded due to timeouts or invalid/unreachable destinations.

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

These errors can be ignorable but pls do a portstatsclear and see if the value is increasing through portstatsshow and porterrshow.

Occasional Contributor

I have cleared the errorcounters of the ISL ports. After that the counter does not increase.

Thanks

Super Contributor

you have to keep an eye on this.it may come again if the server reboots or HBA replaced or simply portenable disable command. so wheever you find it do a portstatsclear and again see it for soem time, also doa porterrshow

Occasional Contributor

Hello,

this weekend the errorcounter for "Class 3 frames discarded due to timeout" increased again.

What does "Class 3 frames discarded due to timeout" mean, and what could be reason for the increasing of the errorcounter?

Could it be a server problem?

Thanks

Occasional Contributor

The E_D_TOV is the basic error timeout used for all fibre channel error detection.

What happens is that if a frame is older than the E_D_TOV (2 seconds by default) the switch will throw the frame out (discards it).   Of course the host/storage are not notified (in class 3) when a frame is discarded and thus must rely on upper level protocols to handle it, so you will probably see i/o retries and the like.

So you have to figure out why a frame is in flight in your fabric for that long.  It can be a symptom of port congestion, buffer credit starvation, or a misbehaving port.  I recently saw an issue where a ESX host (emulex) HBA port was not returning R_RDYs to free up buffer credits in a timely manner and it was causing a backpressure on the ISLs causing frames to age to the point of expiration. This only happened intermittently so it was very hard to track down.

FOS 6.3 has the new bottleneck detection stuff which makes finding the culprit much easier. But I'm not going to lie, it does help to have a very good understanding of fibre channel protocol to figure this out. A protocol analyzer (Xgig) can also help tremendously..

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook