Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

C-Class Embedded 8/24: "NPIV not supported by Fabric port"

Hi,

I've got a problem with one of my Brocade embedded switches.

There are two ports that I can't online with the error: "NPIV not supported by Fabric Port"

This is occuring on ports 2 and 16. All other ports are online and healthy.

Each time I attempt to enable the port, it seems to come online then fails with the above error.

The switch is in AG mode connecting to a DCX.

The licensing looks good.

I've tried port resets, no joy.

I've attached some output.

Any ideas on how to enable these ports?

FOS is: 6.2.0g

P.S. The other fabric, i.e. the other embedded switch is happy.

Thanks in advance.

Richard.

jd
New Contributor

Re: C-Class Embedded 8/24: "NPIV not supported by Fabric port"

I am experiencing a similar problem with 8/24 VC-FC module, although the sys admin cannot login to the VC-FC module to get this kind of output like you have here.  I can only see the DCX side. The module does the NPIV login successfully on 1/6 and 1/8, but the paths are not available on the end host (no disks seen) when it is on 1/8, only port 1/6.  The same VC-FC module is on ports 1/7, 1/11, and 1/12 and working fine... agshow looks normal on the DCX.  The problem is exactly the same redundant SAN "B".  DCX is at 6.2.1b and agshow shows the VC-FC is running 6.1.0_uth.  Working a case with vendors to resolve now.

Occasional Contributor

Tried rebooting the affected switch last night; no change.

I think the crux of the problem is that the ports in question are set to N-Ports and not F-Ports.

Is there a way to force these to F-Ports? I've tried the portcfgdefault on those ports, no change.

I've attached a screen-shot of the Port administration window showing the N-Ports.

Regards,

Richard

Occasional Contributor

Okay solved.

I found the command to disable the N-Port. This then allowed the HBA to connect and set it to a F-Port:

GSC09E01SAN2:admin> portcfgnport

Ports                 0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
--------------------+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--
Locked N_Port        ON .. ON .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ON ON ON ON ON ON ON ON

Excuse formatting, but this showed that port 2 and 16 were locked to N-Ports.

GSC09E01SAN2:admin> portcfgnport 16 0
GSC09E01SAN2:admin> portcfgnport 2 0

Disabling these fixed the problem.

Still not sure what caused these ports to go into locked N-Ports though...

Hope this might help others.

Regards,

Richard

jd
New Contributor

My problem has now been solved as well.  There is a bug related to NPIV on 8G platforms.  DEFECT000269222...  fixed in 6.2.2c (not out yet) and 6.3.1c.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook