Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade switchtype 37.1: upgraded to 6.2.2b and now can't reconnect to fabric

We have 3 Blade Centers in our environment that have 2 integrated Brocade Switches running v5.3.1 for the OS... They are all connected to 2 Cisco 9509 Directors that are running v3.1(3a)... We are going through our entire environment and performing upgrades.. We started with BC3SW2 (BladeCenter 3 Switch2)... This is our non-production Blade Center... I first upgrade this from v5.3.1 to v6.0.1a - when I began it gave me a warning to disable the current interopmode which was set to 1... I did so and then performed the upgrade successfully.. I then upgraded the switch from v6.0.1a to v6.1.1a... Then I performed my last upgrade from v6.1.1a to v6.2.2b... Once I was at this level - I then changed the interopmode to 3 (McDATA Open Fabric) since my the Cisco MDS9509 is running in interopmode 1. I determined this from a link on Cisco's Web site that said - MDS Interop Mode 1—In this mode, the Brocade switches must run in interop mode 3. The remaining functionality of the interop mode remains the same.  After I did this I attempted to enable the port that is connected to my Cisco Switch - port 0 and 15... When I do this is the message I am getting:

portEnable failed. Possible reasons are:

Switch may be disabled, POD license is NOT installed, 7500E upgrade license is NOT installed, slot is off, port is persistently disabled or if this is VE port and associated GE is not in FCIP mode.

I then opened up a call with IBM and they said to try logging into the Advanced Management Module of the Blade Center and do change the setting for the External Ports to be Enabled.. I did so but are still getting the same error message... I

One other thing i am seeing is when i do a licenseshow on the switch - see below:

BC3SW2:USERID> licenseshow

ybRcddcd9zcSdea:

Unknown1 license

RzySczezyRS0zTd0:

Unknown2 license

Sy9RedRQecTzASf7:

Fabric license

ReRz9ScbbdSvW0Aa:

Full Ports on Demand license - additional 10 port upgrade license

So I compared it to the other switches in the environment and they look like this below...

BC3SW1:USERID> licenseshow

b9bbRzeReRcAccSy:

Web license

yy9SdQSyyzzATeD:

Zoning license

Re9zcRccyQSfA0dm:

Fabric license

dSdezyycRejif04:

Full Ports on Demand license - additional 10 port upgrade license

So now I am not sure what else to do / try...

Super Contributor

Re: Brocade switchtype 37.1: upgraded to 6.2.2b and now can't reconnect to fabric

Frank

about Unknown license 1+2 this is not a issue.

Since FOS 6.x Web-Tools and Zoning are Native and a License show as Unknown.

About the ISL between ladeCenter and Cisco, are the Blade Switches connected trough a Brocade 7500 ? Or is this a Direct ISL to Cisco ?

--->>>...must run in interop mode 3....

I'm here a little confused, why you have set to IM3 wih FOS 6 ?

New Contributor

Re: Brocade switchtype 37.1: upgraded to 6.2.2b and now can't reconnect to fabric

Good Morning ABBA-Systems,

Thank you for your help..  Our BladeCenter came with 2 Brocade Switches internally (SwitchType is 37.1 - I think it is 4020)... They are connected to 2 Cisco 9509 directors..  So yes an ISL from the BladeCenter (Brocade) to the Cisco 9509 directors...

As for the IM3 - I got that from this link - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/interoperability/guide/ICG_test.html  because once I upgraded from 5.3.1 the interopmode of 1 was no longer an option...

Regular Contributor

Hi Frank

did you try to configure Brocade switches in Access Gateway mode (eg. NPV under Cisco switches) ?

It may be a workaround, and you won't have to use interop mode anymore.

Hope this helps

Kind regards,

--

david

New Contributor

Hi David,

Thank you for the suggestion - i am willing to try anything at this point.. Do you know the steps to make this change on the Brocade Switch?

Thanks,

Frank

Regular Contributor

Hi -

you have to configure Access gateway mode on Brocade switches :

Access Gateway Administrator's Guide may help you

Then configure NPV on Cisco switches, to allow NPIV devices to connect. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Cisco.

Hope this helps

Regards,

--

david

New Contributor

Good Morning All,

Thank you everyone for all your recommendations... I was told that Brocade 6.x no longer supports ISL with Cisco.. So, the only thing I can do is back rev the code to 5.3.1 and run with it that way... I appreciate everyones help...

Thanks,

Frank

Regular Contributor

Be aware that when using Access Gateway mode, there is no ISLs anymore. Brocade switches are seen as NPIV devices on edge fabrics, and there are no new Domain IDs for them.

Regards,

--

david

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook