Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade support for 10G UTA cards?

Hi All,

I have seen some tables showing Brocade switches and what features they support.

1. I would like to know the "smallest" Brocade switch that supports the 10G UTA (or CNA - FCoE/Ethernet) cards?

Let's say I have 2x Brocade switches with 8Gb/s SFPs (e.g., 300 model). One each on the 10th and 3rd floor of a building.

2. If I need to connect the two together into the same SAN, do I need ISL licenses (I think not, but can't remember the distance beyond which ISL licenses are needed).

3. Can I use the standard 8Gb/s SFPs that came with the Brocade for the ISL or do I need to get the Long Wave SFPs?

4. If I need LongWave SFPs for the ISL ports (I believe the maximum distance for the regular SFPs is about 150m), does this mean I need to use single-mode cables between the 2 floors?

Thank you.

Valued Contributor

Re: Brocade support for 10G UTA cards?

1)Brocade VDX 6720-24

2)You have a Fabric license which allows you to interconnect multiple switches and

there's a license called Extended Fabrics which enables fabrics to span more than 10Km

3) depends on the distance you need to cover and speed

4) Yes LW is SM signal thus SM cables are needed

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook