Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Brocade software and license management

Hello,

I have a few very basic quesions about Brocade software and license maintenance and management.

When we buy a new switch either from Brocade or a reseller, is it madatory to purchase software maintenance ? If software maintenance is not purchased, is it possible to get the FOS patches and upgrades ? Also, if just the hardware maintenance is purchased, does hardware maintennce cover the FOS upgrades, defects, patches?  For normal switch operations , some licenses are preinstalled, is it required to pay for these licenses on a yearly basis or is it just  one time fee and some licenses are free with the switch ?

Please let me know my questions are not clear .

Thanks

Moeen

Valued Contributor

Re: Brocade software and license management

Hi,

In response to your questions:

When we buy a new switch either from Brocade or a reseller, is it madatory to purchase software maintenance ?

I suppose that this may depend on the country and the switch vendor, but NO, it should not by necessary.

If software maintenance is not purchased, is it possible to get the FOS patches and upgrades ?

Again, it depends on the vendor, but YES, you should be able to get access to newer FOS releases.

Also, if just the hardware maintenance is purchased, does hardware maintennce cover the FOS upgrades, defects, patches? 

Once more, that depends on the switch vendor and the maintenance contract purchased. But usually, HW maintenance contracts cover that kind of stuff.

For normal switch operations , some licenses are preinstalled, is it required to pay for these licenses on a yearly basis or is it just  one time fee and some licenses are free with the switch ?

Licenses don't need to renewed on a yearly basis. Also, there may be features that required a license and don't need it anymore. In that cases, there may appear a license already installed.

Kind regards,

Felipon

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook