Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Brocade DS5100B Interoperate with McData DS-4700M

Hi,

I have two McData DS-4700M SAN switches and I'm going to add two Brocade DS-5100B and ISL it....

Both of the McData switches is currently serving the production and the switch port is almost fully utilize, so we have to add the new switches to cater for the new request. In order to do so, I need to know.. technically can that two switch ISL? as they are different Brand of switch and model as well.

If this is workable, what is the secure step to ISL them together?

Appreciate your comments and advise.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

CS.

External Moderator

Re: Brocade DS5100B Interoperate with McData DS-4700M

You can ISL the NEW 5100 to the existing McDATA Productive env. w/o any problem.

Just need first to make sure, both have compatible OS ( EOS and FOS ) and change the Brocade in the respective Interopmode 2 or 3, McDATA Native Mode or Open Mode if he McDATA are set in Open Mode.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Hi TechHelp24,

Thank you for the reply. By the way, I just found out that the production switch Domain ID are both set to 1.

I want to know will that have any impact to my ISL? Do I need to change the Domain ID on second production switch to other value?

Final question, how can I check the EOS and FOS whether is compatible and meet the ISL requirement?

Thanks!

Best Regards,

CS

External Moderator

--->>> I just found out that the production switch Domain ID are both set to 1.

all Switch in the "SAME" Fabric must have a unique Domain ID

--->>> I want to know will that have any impact to my ISL?

Switch with the same DID cannot partecipate in the same Fabric, and ISL connection will not be established.

--->>> Do I need to change the Domain ID on second production switch to other value?

when you change the DID in a productive Switch, need to rebuild the Zoning.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Hi TechHelp24,

--->>> I just found out that the production switch Domain ID are both set to 1.

all Switch in the "SAME" Fabric must have a unique Domain ID.

Q: When you said Same Fabric, does it consist of primary and secondary switches?

In this case, Can I make it this way? I'm trying to minimize the change on production switches....

ISL the switches without changing the DID of Production switch:

SW1_DID_1 (McData DS-4700M) ISL to SW3_DID_97 (Brocade DS-5100B)

SW2_DID_1 (McData DS-4700M) ISL to SW4_DID_98 (Brocade (DS-5100B)

Thanks.

CS

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.