Fibre Channel (SAN)

N/A

Brocade DS-200B switches

Greetings all,

I'm a newbie to this site, and hopefully am posting in the most applicable forum.   I have (2) Brocade DS-200B switches connected to my EMC CX4-120.  We have some IBM Blades running esx 3.5 as they'll be VMWare hosts.  I also have 10 or so HP Proliant DL series servers attached to the SAN.

I have no issue when connecting the stand alone servers to my brocade switches, zoning them up, and adding them as host servers on the SAN.  But the blades we have, have been in service for some time and a consultant worked with us as we rolled out VMware for the first time and zoned our blades for us.  Maybe it's a little more confusing to me because of the way blades "share" hardware; opposed to a stand alone server. Or perhaps I'm overcomplicating it due to it sharing hardware.

Anyhow, we just bought 2 new IBM Blades to beef up one of our HA clusters, and I find myself having issues simply getting the brocade switch to see the HBA's WWN.  The type of HBA we bought is a QLogic Fiber Channel Expansion Card (# 41Y8583).  I went into ctrl-q on the HBAs and set both channels BIOS's to be enabled at boot.  I then connected my fiber octopus cable to back of blade chassis, and connected other end to port 11 on brocade ds-200b switch.

At this point, I would expect to see a link light on port 11 (on the brocade switch) and as I went to zone port 11, and expanded its port I'd see the WWN for the HBA.  Instead of a link light, I see it flash in this sequence: amber-green-off...amber-green-off etc.  literally for approximately 1 minute and 45 seconds.  Once the amber-green-off sequence ends, it shifts to blinking amber for approximately 2 minutes. At the end of the two minutes, it goes back to 1 minute and 45 seconds of amber-green-off....then 2 minutes of amber blinking and so on and so forth.

Upon posting this, I am going to look for a PDF manual online which may explain the bklinking sequence to me and what it means.

Worth noting too is that port 11 on the brocade switch, under port status on the switch, it's displaying the Port Status as "Disabled" while all other ports either display "Online" for those that have hosts attached; or no light for ports not yet with fiber connected to them.

I'm clearly overlooking something here, but also feel I'm very close as I am seeing some activity on that port. Any suggestions?

Thank You in advance,

Jon

Valued Contributor

Re: Brocade DS-200B switches

Worth noting too is that port 11 on the brocade switch, under port status on the switch, it's displaying the Port Status as "Disabled" while all other ports either display "Online" for those that have hosts attached; or no light for ports not yet with fiber connected to them.

Did you enable the port as its disabled, which effectivly means off.

portenable {portnumber} or portcfgpersistentenable {portnumber}

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook