Fibre Channel (SAN)

Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Brocade Compatibility Matrix

Dear Brocade team,

Is it possible to have an updated compatibility matrix ?

Impossible to get one from my FC SE, the one on your website is outdated (May 2012) :

Compatibility

Thank you.

External Moderator

Re: Brocade Compatibility Matrix

Frequent Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for the quick feedback. I believe this is the last available update, correct ?

This is helpful, but I can't see the chapter regarding transceivers, especially xWDM ones !?!

Best regards.

External Moderator

I don't know another one with newer Date.

If some what you are looking for are not listed here, i would suggest to ask by Storage / Connectivity vendor or refer in their Release Notes.

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

The Compatibility Matrix has been a bit of a personal battle for me (which I've not been winning I'm afraid).  But, here is my understanding of the xWDM section in that matrix...  Brocade doesn't actively seek out to testing/certifying xWDM devices as they all pretty much work.  Its extremely rare if one is identified that doesn't.  That being said, what you do see in the matrix is a list of devices we've known to work from over the years from either specific testing or indirect testing (primarily testing something else, but needed a xWDM device in the test).   Now that being said, if you have a particular device in question and just want a sanity check to ensure it work, I can look into it if you would like.

On a side note, I'm going to 'ask' the owner of the Compatibility Matrix to provide feedback on the community forums of whats going on with it.  Cant make any promises on that though.  More to follow...

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
Frequent Contributor

Hello Mike,

We are doing passive DWDM so we are more interested in compatibility matrice for xWDM transceivers :

- Those that have already been qualified,

- Those that Brocade plans to qualify,

We are actually facing a technical dilema with 6510 FC switchs, this is why I am asking.

If you'd like conversation further, I'd rather do this MP.

Thank you again for your support.

Best regards.

Valued Contributor

Perhaps it has something to do with access levels, but I'm struggling to find e recent matrix with xwdm sfp's listed.

The only ones I could find are outdated (2010) http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/matrices/Brocade_Compatibility_Matrix_100423.pdf

Only contain there own SW/LW stuff http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/matrices/sfp-matrix-mx.pdf

Or is a broken link http://www.brocade.com/forms/getFile?p=documents/matrices/SFP_Matrix.pdf

(Both from Brocade Optical Transceiver Modules)

Brocade could do themselves a favor be making this easily/publicly accessible in one list.

That said SmartOptic (with whom Brocade has a tech alliance partnership) provides SFPs which are supported.

http://smartoptics.biz/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Solution-Brochure-SAN-Extension-Solution.pdf

Also I would like to point out the OEM partners like HP, publish lists of supported SFP's.

External Moderator

Brocade added New SFP+ CWDM and DWDM support with FOS v7.1.1

• Support for SmartOptics 8G CWDM 70km SFP+
    Supported only on FC8-xx (FC8-16, FC8-32, FC8-48) blades in DCX and DCX-4S
    Supported only on FC8-xx (FC8-32E, FC8-48E), FC16-xx (FC16-32, FC16-48) blades on DCX 8510-8 and DCX 8510-4

• Support for SmartOptics 8G DWDM 40km SFP+
    Supported only on FC8-xx (FC8-16, FC8-32, FC8-48), FX8-24 blades in DCX and DCX-4S
    Supported only on FC8-xx (FC8-32E, FC8-48E), FX8-24, FC16-xx (FC16-32, FC16-48) blades in DCX 8510-8 and DCX 8510-4
    Supported on 300, 5100, 5300, 6505, 6510, 6520, 7800
TechHelp24
Frequent Contributor

Hello TechHelp24,

Appreciate it, I also read latest FOS release notes.

I can witness to a technical dilema we are facing actually because we bought SMARTOPTICS 4GFC 80 km DWDM SFPs that :

- are compatible with 5100 that EOLed/EOSed,

- aren't compatible with 6510,

Only solution would be to have 8GFC DWDM 80km SMARTOPTICS SFPs. But according to insider intel from our SE, R&D teams are struggling to qualify those because of electro-magnetic beamings. As of today, no clear availability date for such SFPs support and we are stuck here with no suitable solution.

The hole point is to say that we should have access to a clear/complete/up-to-date SFP compatibility matrix.

We shouldn't have to struggle that much to find the correct information.

Hope this reaches the highest levels within Brocade.

Y.

External Moderator

I'm other opinion and don't see this as technical dilema, and that reason is very simple.

-->....because we bought SMARTOPTICS 4GFC 80 km DWDM...

Sorry to say, but when you buy things in such case SFP which are not compatible and/or certified with some Plattforms, this is not a problem that have to solved by Brocade.

->As of today, no clear availability date for such SFPs support and we are stuck here with no suitable solution.

The SFP listed in 7.1.1 Release Notes are available by SmartOptics.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.