Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade 8000 - Difference between GE and FC ports in relation to different module types. Best route to go?

Here's what I have:

Brocade 8000 Fiber Switch (MP-8000B)

10 Avago AFBR-703SDZ-ELX

8   Avago AFBR-57D5APZ

10 J9151A-AO 10gb transciever cards for my switches

I'm curious to find out if there are advantages/disadvantages of placing particular transceivers into particular ports.  These will be strictly switch communications, nothing to SANs at all.  Could anyone recommed a best approach to take for me?  I'm very green to fiber switches, yet have been immersed into figuring out this unit. 

External Moderator

Re: Brocade 8000 - Difference between GE and FC ports in relation to different module types. Best route to go?

Brocade 8000 Switch, is a FCoE Switch with 24x 10 GBe Port's and 8x 8GB FC Port's

In order to use the FC Port, the Port must be Licensed with a Pod License.

the FC Switch Port's can be used in FOS Native or in AG = Access Gateway Mode

This Switch plattform support only Brocade Branded SFP+ and/or OEM i.e. HP, as B-Series Branded SFP+

other SFP+ called Boutique SFP are not supported

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Re: Brocade 8000 - Difference between GE and FC ports in relation to different module types. Best route to go?

If I'm understanding you correctly, I can use the GBe ports with my Brocade modules without issue.  Do I approach this as a standard switch, as in plug things in and traffic will happen? 

I will do some diggin gon the benefits of the FC ports, with licensing.  So far I'm liking what I'm seeing.

External Moderator

from you native post, your wrote:

Here's what I have:

Brocade 8000 Fiber Switch (MP-8000B)

10 Avago AFBR-703SDZ-ELX

8   Avago AFBR-57D5APZ

10 J9151A-AO 10gb transciever cards for my switches

--->>>If I'm understanding you correctly, I can use the GBe ports with my Brocade modules without issue.

The SFP Part's above, are not Brocade Branded SFP, and not work in Brocade 8000

-->>Do I approach this as a standard switch, as in plug things in and traffic will happen?

in feew word, the answer is yes, however you must made some configuration steps

TechHelp24
New Contributor

That makes valid sense to me.  I omitted Brocade 8G SW tranceivers.  I have 10 of these in the unit and are planning on using them for the GB connections. 
Is it possible to point me in the direction of any configuration steps?  I didn't recieve any documentation, software with this unit, only the unit and Agavo transceivers.  I've gone through and downloaded some pdf's off of Brocade.com, in regrads to the Overview, Specifications, Configuration, Maintenance, amangement and several more related to POST and LED activity. 

I'm connected via IP address and have been navigating the device to get the feel and understanding for it.

External Moderator

login trough telnet and executed the command

"firmwareshow", you get the installed FOS release.

v7.1.2a is the current latest supported release

with "licenseshow" command get output of Installed License.

about Manuals, go here in the Communuty under MyBrocade -> Download

basically you need the Command Reference Manuals, and FOS Admin Guide

manuals are FOS and not Switch Type Related, excepted you have a very Old FOS, in such case you need CEE manuals in order to configured out the Switch for FCoE

with "cmsh" command you switch from native FOS Command Line to ETH Command Line

back to SFP Issue, if you want to use the Ethernet Port, you need Brocade Branded 10Gbe SFP+

TechHelp24
New Contributor

firmwareshow = v6.3.1a

license show =

15 charachter alphanumceric number: Ports on Demand license - additional 8 port upgrade license

40 alphanumeric number output:

Enhanced Group Management licnese

40 alphanumeric number output:

FCoE Base license

I'm guessing my next step is to download the latest firmware, get that installed. 

back to SFP Issue, if you want to use the Ethernet Port, you need Brocade Branded 10Gbe SFP+

Does this mean I can't use the 8gb Brocade Transceivers in the Ethernet port at all?  My only other option is 10GBASE-LR SFP+, which are HP approved transceivers.  I'm fine with the 8gb speed versus the 10gb speed, if that's my only issue.

External Moderator

about the license that llok good, you have all basically License for FC and FCoE

BTW, don't worry abou the license key, Brocade Switch License are Bundled with WWN Switch and Unit Number, and canno the used in another one.

---->>>Does this mean I can't use the 8gb Brocade Transceivers in the Ethernet port at all?

NO !  Only FC Port in 8000 work with Brocade Branded 8GB SFP+

in order to used the remain 24 Port you need Brocade Branded 10Gbe SFP+

Brocade part Number 57-0000075-01

another Option is to Use Twinax Copper Cable wich are available at 1, 3, and 5 meter.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook