Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade 6510 Upgrade

I'm reviewing Cisco and Brocade switches to replace our Qlogic 8502 switches.  I have been very happy with the Qlogic, very simple to manage and never had any issues.  We had to update the switches once since we went live around 6 years now.

While researching Brocade it looks like their switches cannot perform an undisruptive update.  Which makes me think I'm going backwards with technology.  Yes, if you have two fabrics you should be ok, but stil...

So I got to thinking I only had to update my Qlogic switches once in 6 years.  Can someone tell me where on this site I can find how may updates there have been since the 6510's came out.

Thanks 

Contributor

Re: Brocade 6510 Upgrade

You are misinformed. 6510s can be upgraded non disruptive as long as you are not jumping more than one major version of FOS (firmware).

The release notes for the firmware you are upgrading to should indicate this.
Contributor

Actually since FOS 6.x and newer updates are non disruptive as long as your not skipping versions.
For example
7.2 -> 7.3 non disruptive
7.2 -> 7.4 disruptive
New Contributor

Hi Nate,

Thanks for correcting me.  We don't have any Brocades yet.  Going through the product literature Brocade doesn't mention it.  Whereas Cisco and Qlogic does.  I must have been looking at older Brocade update docs from the web. 

Thanks, I appreciate the clarification.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.