Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Brocade 5480 FOS Upgrade

hello all

I am planning to upgrade Brocade 5480 from v7.0.2d to v7.4.1d and the upgrade path I am planning to use is 

v7.0.2d -> v7.1.2b -> v7.2.1g -> v7.3.1d/e -> v7.4.1d. 

I am new to Brocade Embedded Switches. Does this upgrade involve switch reboot? I manage to get highlevel steps but can I have your expertise to verify the steps please? 

1. configUpload 

2. supportSave 

3. Check the connected switches to ensure compatibility and that any older versions are supported.

4. firmwareDownload 

5. firmwareDownloadStatus 

I also have 4024 in the upgrade plan, but I understand it is not supported in the newer code. 

thanks

Occasional Contributor

Re: Brocade 5480 FOS Upgrade

guys, please help me to get an answer. will brocade 5480 incur a reboot during code upgrade? 

Highlighted
Brocade Moderator

Hi,

yes, the 5480 will do a haReboot during the upgrade which means that the CPU will be rebooted, but the ASIC handling frames will be continue switching frames without impact to the traffic.

Connected devices will not notice expect for those devices doing a for an example a Name Server query at the time of the reboot of since the CPU will be gone for maybe 2 minutes.  Under normal circumstances, the firmware upgrade will not be noticable for connected devices.   The sequence of FOS you selected is looking okay. Doing a supportsave and configupload before the upgrade is good practice. If you have multiple monitoring tools quering the switch (via SNMP for example), I would queisce them during the upgrade.

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Brocade Moderator

Hello,

This is not disruptive.

Yes, your checks and download are looking fine.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your detailed reply. Truly value it. 

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook