Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade 5100 with Ciena for replication

Hello,

Is anyone is aware of how to configure the 5100 switch talking to Ciena, If so could you please point me out to the correct doc.

this is how the setup is....

VMAX---->5100---->Ciena--->dark fiber---->Ciena--->5100---->VMAX

Thanks

Veen.

Valued Contributor

Re: Brocade 5100 with Ciena for replication

I'm not familiar with Ciena, but if guess its an xWDM solution.

If it is, the first question would be, is it an active solution?

If so i think you must configure ISL R_RDY's, disable QoS (as it uses Virtual Channels which you just disabled) and have appriopiate distance setting to get to from the local switch to local xWDM box.

If its an passive solution (i.e. you're using different color optics in the 5100)  you can use VC_RDY's and QoS and make sure you set the distance to get from switch to switch.

Frequent Contributor

You have to check with Cienna what they support. To many variables here. Speed settings, fillwords, VC, credit-spoofing etc.

New Contributor

Hi,

How is the 5100 configured now? What type of Ciena equipment are you using. Let me know the details and I can help you ot to get this working.

Cheers.

New Contributor

Hi,

I still have to setup the 5100's and its just going to be used for replication purpose. 4200 RS is the Ciena hardware model.

Thank You.

New Contributor

What module types are you using in the Ciena 4200 RS? 

New Contributor

Sorry for the late reply but finally i'm able to get the module info from n/w guys...

its G6S module.

Thanks

Eli
Contributor

Hi,

I can't find this module on Brocade compatibility matrix (http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/matrices/brocade-compatibility-matrix.pdf) - you can find it and tell us if it apperas.

Anyway, as dion said - you need to check if this equipment is active or passive, it determain the ISL R_RDY mode that you need to configure. If you configure R_RDY to ON, you won't be able to use Trunk for ISL's.

The best way is to try it in both ways - and see if replication works well and ISL ports aren't get errors.

Commonly you need to configure ISL's as LD ports with VC_Init off and fillword 0 with desired distance.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook