Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade 5000 tape drive + library

Hi,

I have an ML6020 tape library with 4 LTO FC tape drives attached to 2 Brocade 5000 switches.   I have zoned the 4 tape drives into 4 separate zones, each containing one host.   On that host, I receive the tape device correctly, but I do not see the tape library changer device.

The tape library has no FC connection.   The tape changer usually is accessible via the tape drive as a separate LUN.   My question is whether there is some special zone/alias parameters needed on the Brocade switch?

I am using RHEL 5 with lin_tape device driver from IBM.

Thanks,

pm

Here is the device view on the host:

# cat /proc/scsi/IBMtape
lin_tape version: 1.41.1
lin_tape major number: 251
Attached Tape Devices:
Number  model       SN                HBA                             FO Path  
0       ULTRIUM-TD4 F09F443000        qla2xxx                         NA       
1       ULTRIUM-TD4 F09F443004        qla2xxx                         NA       
2       ULTRIUM-TD4 F09F443098        qla2xxx                         NA       
3       ULTRIUM-TD4 F09F44309C        qla2xxx                         NA 

# cat /proc/scsi/IBMchanger
lin_tape version: 1.41.1
lin_tape major number: 251
Attached Changer Devices:
Number  model       SN                HBA                             FO Path

Occasional Contributor

Re: Brocade 5000 tape drive + library

the switch and zoning is fine.
The issue you have is either the controll path definition on the Library itself.

or and most likely the driver on your RHEL5 host.

you state you have the IBM device driver for the LTO drives,  but that IBM device sriver will not support a DELL tape library.

I am guessing you still need to find and load the relevent DELL ML6020 library driver for RHEL5

New Contributor

Re: Brocade 5000 tape drive + library

Hi,

just an update.  I have found the the tape library device is available under /dev/changer -> /dev/sg131.   I installed the sg3_utils rpm and have been able to do basic inquiry to the device.

The ML-6010 that I have is really a Quantum Scalar i500 on the inside.   If it had been an IBM tape library, then the IBMtapeutil program (itdt) would have been all that was needed.

At this point, I am using the lin_tape driver for the tape drives and the sg driver for the tape library.

The Brocade fabric and zones were all good.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook