Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade 300 connected to Hitachi USPVM stuck in L-Port

Hi,

I have connected a brand new Brocade 300 to our Hitachi USP VM SAN with two uplinks connected to two different controllers on the Hitachi.  By looking at the port status from the web gui, I noticed that both uplinks are set to L_Port. I have connected a server to to the Brocade and the interface shows F_Port like I expected.

I have removed one of the uplinks in case some sort of loop was created. Then, I have change my uplink from interface 23 to interface 2 in case all ports were not licensed like I was told. Still was showing L_Port.  After that, I went in the port admin from the web interface and have unchecked L_Port from the choices listed in the port configuration wizard (Edit configuration tab). After unchecking L_port from there choices, the port status shows now "in sync" and port type is U_port from the port admin view.  When I look at the switch view (main dashboard) the port shows F/E.

There are no luns attached to the interfaces I'm using on the Hitachi to connect the Brocade.

What am I missing? This is my first experience with san switches so I might be missing something obvious to you guys.

Thank you so much for the help.

Valued Contributor

Re: Brocade 300 connected to Hitachi USPVM stuck in L-Port

Was the FromtEmd port of your USPVM used before?

Perhaps its not configured for FC-SW operations

New Contributor

Yes the ports of the USPVM were used previously, but we had servers connected to it directly.  We have removed the luns that were configured on those but no other configuration was made.

So I would have to set those ports to FC-SW operations? I'm not familiar with that... I'll have to look it up. If you have more information on the configuration I would need to do from a USPVM perspective, feel free to share the info.

I'm new to SAN environment and SAN switches too. This is pretty much my first time.

Thanks for the help!

External Moderator

ave you tried to scan "ioscan" the port on USP now after added new server/device ?

TechHelp24
Regular Contributor

Hey, I'm not too familiar with the UPSVM but on the arrays I know about you need to set a special mode on the port in the array, depending on whether you want to hook it up directly to a server or to a SAN-switch.

Valued Contributor

My thoughts exactly, maybe those ports are FC-P2P or FC-AL configured and you need FC-SW in an environment with a switch.

So check those port settings on your USP

Regular Contributor

Hi s.kirch,

as your USP is now connected to a SAN fabric, you should configure USP ports as "Point-to-Point,Fabric" (these are two different settings, just tell that to your storage guys, they should know what it means in terms of USP configuration GUI).

Hope this helps,

Linar

New Contributor

Hello Linar, all,

Thank you so much for the information! This was actually it! I have set the port to a connection type "p-to-p" but this wasn't enough to make it work. I was missing the second part of the port configuration, I had to enable fabric mode on that interface.

Actually, our storage guy have left the company just before I came abord 3 months ago.  I'll have to learn on the spot has we say since I'm more into networking than storage.

Thanks again for the usefull information and help everyone!

Cheers,

Sebastien

Frequent Contributor

"ioscan" scenario is when scaning the device on the server/host. He wasn't gone that far ... good to see things got worked for him

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook