Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Brocade 300 FOS7.1 ipv6 gateway configuration

Hello,

its first time i try to create ipv6 ip addresses. I found the procedure via CLI and web tools how to create ipv6 management address+subnetmask but i have not found a way to configure ipv6 gateway.

Anyone else knows ?

Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Brocade 300 FOS7.1 ipv6 gateway configuration

Greetings stefan.beutler.  Please forgive, what may be a stupid question, but have you tried setting the IPv6 auto configuration with ipAddrSet -ipv6 -auto command?  I do realize you are trying to manually set this address, but the reason I'm asking, I'm curious to know if the IPv6 gateway address was properly imported in the particular scenario.

In addition, you may have already read this, but in case you have not, this passage from the FOS 7.1 Admin Guide does provide some insight into this. 

"IPv6 can assign multiple IP addresses to each network interface. Each interface is configured with a link local address in almost all cases, but this address is only accessible from other hosts on the same network. To provide for wider accessibility,...

There are two methods of autoconfiguration for IPv6 addresses: stateless autoconfiguration and stateful autoconfiguration. Stateless allows an IPv6 host to obtain a unique address using the IEEE 802 MAC address; stateful uses a DHCPv6 server, which keeps a record of the IP address and other configuration information for the host. Whether a host engages in autoconfiguration and which method it uses is dictated by the routers serving the local network, not by a configuration of the host. There can be multiple routers serving the network, each potentially advertising multiple network prefixes. Thus, the host is not in full control of the number of IPv6 addresses that it configures, much less the values of those addresses, and the number and values of addresses can change as routers are added to or removed from the network.

When IPv6 autoconfiguration is enabled, the platform engages in stateless IPv6 autoconfiguration. When IPv6 autoconfiguration is disabled, the platform relinquishes usage of any autoconfigured IPv6 addresses that it may have acquired while it was ena..."

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
Contributor

Hello Mike,

update i received via support and which is more or less the same you sent:

Specifically in the case of ipv6 default gateways,  the ipv6 default gateway should be auto-detected/configured by the management interface via the Neighbor Discovery Protocol (NDP) built into ipv6.  There is no command available that can be used to statically assign the ipv6 default gateway.

Thanks

Stefan

Super Contributor

Thanks for sharing stefan!

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
Occasional Contributor

What a mess... I ran into the same problem, cause in our managment network ra or dhcpv6 is not available.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook