Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade 200e VMware loss of connection issue when adding a new host to SAN

Hi,

We have 2 Fujitsu FibreCAT SANs connected via 2 brocade 200e fiber switches.

When we plug in an additional VMware host to the 200es, or even another server which isn't VMware, we start loosing connection the existing VMware Hosts.  The original Issue happened every 24hrs a host would loose connection for 15-20 minutes after a new server was attached to the Switch.  At first we thought it was that specific server as the issue stopped once we removed it.  Today however we added a 4th VMware Host to our setup and within a few hours of it connecting to the switch we had issues again.

Has anyone seen this issue before?

The two switches are both Brocade 200e Fibre Switchs, both have 12 ports active.  The first time we had the issue we where only plugged into one of the two switches which is running  Fabric OS 5.3.0c.  The second is running the same version although this ones GUI is Switch Manager rather than Web Tools, if that makes any difference.

If anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

New Contributor

Re: Brocade 200e VMware loss of connection issue when adding a new host to SAN

How you are doing the zoning ? try FOS upgrade and also check form VM side .This is a strange behavour.

Frequent Contributor

Hi david.shearing

I would go through and double check the following

1.Your new ESX hosts WWN's

2. Your host group settings on your SAN reflect the correct WWNs from your new ESX hosts HBA's

3. Your zoning e.g controller mapping to HBA port.

Your Fabric OS 5.3.0c is ok (its a little old now) but this wouldn't cause the issues your having.

Let me know how things go.

David

Super Contributor

in case of VMWARE , we have seen that you have to remove the zoning and do it again I mean rezoning the devices, it will show you.

N/A

Hi hemant,

Could you tell the root cause for this issue?  i have just had same this problem. My system have NetApp for San & VMware for Virtualize. I had a change to remove old SAN & atach new SAN to brocade 200E but i didn't unsterstand when shutdown SAN ports of old SAN (no vmware hosts had connections to the LUNs of this SAN) , then all I/O storage connections between vsphere & new SAN're hang. I had to roll back change enable SAN ports again.

Please tell me what happened? bug for vmware or bug for zoning on brocade 200E. My version is last version for Brocade 200E ( v6.2.2b )

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook