Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade 200E Configuration Design Questions

Hi,

I'm new to the brocade products, and seem to be struggling to find the information I need. And i am a newbie to SAN/Storage.

I have 2 Brocade 200e switches with 8 port activated with zoning license.

Attached is my current Design.

I want to configure it in a way that if one switch goes down, other will serve all the traffic, Failover senario. If one HBA goes down there is no connectivity issues.

I don't have switch fabric configured (Not sure if it requires licenses) or am not sure if it is required for my configuration.

Thanks in advance for any help advice, Any suggestions are really appriciated as i want to get this configured before we start using.

Can anyone recommend books for storage/san switch(brocade)

Nick 

Frequent Contributor

Re: Brocade 200E Configuration Design Questions

hi mgandhi

>I want to configure it in a way that if one switch goes down, other will serve all the traffic, Failover senario. If one HBA goes down there is no connectivity issues.

Your visio diagram looks good you have split your hba's across the two switches and also your storage controllers. By doing this you will be able to achieve

a failure in one fabric and I/O will still pass through the other switch.

In regards to your questions about good books give this one a try it helped me out alot when I started out with storage , and is worth a purchase

http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Storage-Area-Networks-Implementing/dp/0321136500/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239845348&sr=8-15

Good luck

David

Frequent Contributor

Sorry my mistake you haven't split your storage array across your switches correctly

Your controllers should be place in this order

Controller A Port 0 to Switch 1 port x

Controller A Port 1 to Switch 2 port x

Controller B Port 0 to Switch 1 port x

Controller B Port 1 to Switch 2 port x

This is the correct config for your storage array controllers.

David

New Contributor

Thanks David.

One more question:

I have this environment configured as per my previous post. I have assigned three luns to each host in my environment, when i go to disk manager on Host Machines running Windows 2003 OS, I see 3 x 3 luns, I am using QLogic QLA2460. see below image. Any further help is appriciated.

DManager.JPG

Contributor

Microsoft OS behavior is that for each available path in the storage infrasturcture a lun id will be created. Even do you have presented 3 lun for your server if you have 3 available paths per lun you will see 9 luns in device manager. In you case to correct the situation you will need a multipath software like Microsoft MPIO or in some case you can check with dell for their modify version of Microsoft MPIO.

The later on should be used because some new feature can be incorportate by the vendor like load balancing, and other...it is usally free.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook