Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Brocade 200 E and NPIV

Need to use a Brocade 200E to talk with a Cisco UCS and an EMC Clariion Cx4-120 array running Flare level 29.

NPIV is used by UCS for its systems and blades.

What FOS level is needed on the 200E to support NPIV, both minimum and highest?

Thank you.

Tony Rivera

External Moderator

Re: Brocade 200 E and NPIV

as far as i know, NPIV is not supported by CISCO UCS.

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

Hi,

yes NPIV is supported in CISCO UCS. In fact UCS can be connected to any Brocade Edge SW in NPIV mode only no other mode. FOS V5.3 above can be supported and better is 6.0 above. NPIV is on by default in all Brocade 4 Gbps SWs.You need to check with Cisco about interop mode.I do nto think it is required but still then you ask them. When I asked this question to Cisco guys , they remained silent and the POC is getting delayed.

Occasional Contributor

I have checked with a regional Brocaded resource I have and he confirmed that the 200E running FOS GTE 5.3 will support NPIV. Suggestion was to run 6.2.x.   I do not have any personal experience with the Brocade 200E switches, yet.

Regarding UCS connection to Brocade switches.  I currently have two edge switches,Brocade 4900's running 5.3.0c, connected to two Cisco UCS with no problems. I did not have to change anything on the switches, the ports stated that NPIV was supported. We hooked them up and budda bing budda bom everthing was good.  We have run Cisco blades setup with "boot from SAN", ESX servers, normal Windows servers, and ESX server clusters supporting "virtual desktops". Storage wise we are zoned to a EMC Clariion Cx380. We have not had any issues with NPIV at this time.

Thank you all for your relplies.

Tony Rivera

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook