Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Best way to move off of McData 4500s

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any assistance.  Here is what I am facing:  I have 2 fabrics each with 2 McData 4500 switches running EFCM 9.6.2.  These fabrics have SUN DL280 Storage arrays on them as well as the hosts.  We have purchased a NetApp FAS 3170 and two Brocade 5300 switches (OS 6.1.0d).  Our goal was to connect the Brocade switches to the existing fabrics and somehow sync up zoning to allow the hosts to be able to talk to the existing Sun SANs and the NetApp.  Then we had hoped to move the fibre connections from the McData 4500s to the Brocade 5300s, migrate our data from the old Storage arrays to the new one, and pull both the D280s and the McData switches out of production.

We currently have the Brocades part of the McData fabrics using Interoperability mode 3.  This allows us to move hosts to the brocades, but the McDatas still have all of the zoning information.  Once I yank the ISL, zoning info is lost.  Additionally, zoning administration options don't exist in this interoperability mode.  Can anyone suggest a way to do this?  Is there a way to export zoning information to the brocades, or another mode the brocades can be in and still allow temporary fabric integration.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

External Moderator

Re: Best way to move off of McData 4500s

Hi

this is a long story, Do you intend to move the config from McDATA to Brocade and do you intend to remove the McDATA Switches from the Fabric ?
If yes the best way is to create a new config in the brocade in native brocade mode.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Thank you for the reply, TechHelp24.  Yes, I intend to remove the McData switches from the fabric.  So, are you saying to create new fabrics from scratch using native mode, manually replicate the zoning information, and then move all of the hosts and storage to the new fabric?   If so, is there not a more transparent way?  Most of our hosts are multipathed, so I guess I could move one fabric at a time, but I was hoping we could somehow migrate the zoning into the Brocades and then shut off the McData

Occasional Contributor

How did it go?

I am also working on the same issue as you--I have a mixture of Brocades and McData's and we're getting rid of the McData's.  If I turn off interopmode on all of the Brocades, all configs will be lost, and there will be no existing config in the fabric.

Were you able to create a new config on your native-mode Brocade without doing it from scratch??  My zone config is very large and I would hate to have to re-create it from the beginning.

I should also mention that I am using EFCM  v9.7.4.

New Contributor

Hi Lisa,

For us our first priority was finding a way to migrate without incurring downtime, even if it meant rebuilding the zoning tables.  What I ended up doing was calling Brocade and getting a temporary integrated routing license that allowed FCR to function. To install we had to pull the ISL, install the license, and reconfigure the port as an 'EX_Port' and reconnect as an IFL, if I remember correctly.  We then set up LSAN zones on the Brocades (I know it stinks), which are basically replicas of our McData zoning except the zone names all started with "LSAN_".  These zones are recognized by IR, and allowed servers moved to Brocade to stillse and use storage on the McDatas.  I was able to move one connection or one server at a time without any disruption to our FC environment.

So in short, my hope to not recreate zoning wasn't realized, but we were able to avoid downtime!

Super Contributor

This is practicable, but only in a environment with IR = Integrated Routing capable Hardware

Occasional Contributor

We're working on the exact same scenario (Moving from McData 4700 to Brocade 5300s) although the McDatas will remain in service in separate fabrics. We have an existing EMC CX700 zoned to the McDatas. The Brocades were added to provide additional ports. This week we're installing a new CX4-960, which will involve separating the Brocade 5300s into separate fabrics. The CX700 will remain a member of the McData fabrics, the CX4-960 will be a member of the Brocade fabrics. We'll have Brocade 7500 routers to help facilitate host migrations between the two arrays. From what I've been able to gather, the best solution is to remove one Brocade from your fabric and reconfigure for Native mode, and then manually recreate your zones, then rinse/repeat. Since your hosts have multiple HBAs, you can proceed with the applicable data migration process for each host.

Occasional Contributor

My McData is ISL'd between two Brocades and I have already moved everything that was attached to the McData to one of the Brocades.  So, the only thing I want to do is get rid of the McData itself altogether.  The host/storage connections aren't a problem.  But, in order to do that, I'll have to turn off interopmode on every Brocade switch, which will destroy the zoning config everywhere--there won't be a switch left in the fabric with a running config.  So, rebuild-rinse-repeat sounds like the only way, although it scares me to have to start over.

While doing a thorough google-search, I found a reference to a guide for converting from McData to Brocade.  It's a really well-written guide and in it, it mentions a script called "mcdata-convert.exe" that can be found on http://brocade.com.  I can't find this script anywhere.

Has anyone heard of it??  And, does anyone have a copy of it??

Thank you, in advance, for your hints/tips/advice/scripts!

New Contributor

As soon as you create ISL between McData & Brocade all the zoning info should be populated on Brocades right?, Once you move all the hosts and storage to Brocade, Can we power off the Mcdata Switches or remove the ISL?, Do we have to do any reconfiguration on the Brocade switches?.

New Contributor

Your zoning information lives on the McDatas, so if you pull the ISL your brocades won't work.  The best way to accomplish migrating to the Brocade is to get an IR license from Brocade and build LSAN zones in them.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.