Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Best way to add a third switch?

Currently I have two 3200's each with two connections to my storage array. I am just about out of ports. I just received a new 3800 to add into the mix. What is the best way to add this new switch into the current environment. Currently all of the hosts are dual attached and I would like to extend that flexibility to the third switch. I don't forsee additional switches being added to this particular environment any time soon.

Regular Contributor

Re: Best way to add a third switch?

It might be time to consider going to a core-edge topology.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply, are you saying connect all four array ports to the 3800? If so, wouldn't that make it the single point of failure?

Regular Contributor

Yes it would make it a single point of failure. But as we all know, Broacde switches never fail! You could also make the 3800 your second fabric and move one connection from each server and two disk ports to the 3800. You'll still increase your port count on your smaller switches while retaining your high availability. Yeah, I like this new option better. Later when you're ready for a 12K, go with the core edge option.

Occasional Contributor

I like that configuration better myself. Currently the two 3200's are cut in half with ports 0-3 in the Unix zone and 4-7 in the Windows zone. Ports 3 and 7 are uplinks to the array. All LUNS are assigned to a specific WWN, but I was told seperating UNIX and Windows is usually a good thing. What I'm thinking about doing is carving the 3800 in half and rezoning each 3200 so one of the 3200's is one big UNIX zone and do the same thing on the other 3200 for Windows. Each half of the 3800 would be the second path for the other HBA. Thanks.

SnipesI hope this could be any help !

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook