Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Best practice to segment a Fabric

Hi,

I have a SAN Fabric containing 8 switches (Dual Fabric with 4 edge switches each). As I have 4 switches into "Fabric A", one major switch is the Principal and 3 of them are Subordinate. I need to pick 1 of 3 and bring as Principal and another one as Subordinate. Considering the Storage area is already allocated to proceed with segmentation, what would be the best to accomplish this ?

Thank You.

Valued Contributor

Re: Best practice to segment a Fabric

Could you make a drawing of what you have at this moment and what you what to have after segmentation, as your question is unclear to me?

Whatever you do, be sure host still have access to the storage they need, oterwise you'll end up with unhappy customers/users.

Occasional Contributor

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I have a drawing of my SAN. Note that:

# The fisrt switch there are around 50 servers being as test or non production servers, plus around 120 servers as Prod.

# Our SAN Fabric is dual (jpg is SAN "A" only).

# I need to disable the ISL link from the first to the second switch (from left to the right).

# Storage layer is not the problem, all test servers have LUNs on Test Tier.

My only concern is how should I disable the ISL and keep the zone configuration ?

Thanks.

Valued Contributor

My only concern is how should I disable the ISL and keep the zone configuration ?

As the zoning database is ditributed across all switches in a fabric you should not worry.

Easiest way (and fastest to revert when trouble arises) is to (persistent)disable all E ports on the first switch going to the second switch(from left to right).

If your satisfied with the result you remove the ISL's entirely and job done.

Be ware though that segmenting is easier the merging and you'll perhaps losing (unused) ports to the test environment which could be used for production servers. Have you tought of using VF to seperate test and production?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook