Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Automated dump recognition

We have all of our SAN switches configured to automatically FTP any dumps to a central location. However there is one major frustration with this, there does not appear to be a quick/easy way to identify which switch has taken a dump. Generated dump names take the form of:

External Moderator

Re: Automated dump recognition

Hi Alastair,"savecore -l" probable is the dump not longer deleted from the switch, so you can find it.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Once I'd managed to find the ftp.log (C:\FabricManager\fmftp\apps\ftp\resource\log\ftp.log) it does seem a little easier thanks.- Alastair

Contributor

I use a low-tech approach for this. On my FTP server, I create a separate sub-directory for every switch and then point my ftpsaves to that directory. It's quick and easy to telll who dumped when.

External Moderator

--->>> ....so the model is not a helpful identifier.For detail see in the Command Reference Manual by "chassisName" and "switchName"

TechHelp24
Contributor

Unfortunately that does not appear entirely correct. All of the switches in our fabrics do have a unique name set with 'SWITCHNAME'. It would have seemed sensible if the dump names were generated using this name, however it appears that for some reason the dumps use the 'CHASSISNAME' instead (checked 'TRACEDUMP' in the command manual). Surely for models such as 12000, this is misleading (two switches, one chassis).So yet another value that I get to go and set on all our switches ...

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook