Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Any documentation on joining Brocade 5000 to McData native fabric?

I can't seem to find a definitive document or procedure on how to join a 5000 to my McData fabric, which is in McData mode. The 5000 is on 5.3, The McDatas are on 9.3 and 9.6, and the 5.2.1 document suggests it is possible, but it doesn't go into how to do it.

Is it just a matter of connecting to the CLI on the Brocade and setting the interop mode to 1, then connecting fiber?

Thanks,

Matt

External Moderator

Re: Any documentation on joining Brocade 5000 to McData native fabric?

Hounganbocor,

--->>> ...5000 to my McData fabric, which is in McData mode.

If the 5000 have FOS 5.3.x you must set the Brocade to IM 1 and the McDATA to Open Fabric.

Only FOS 5.2.1_NI1 can interoperate with McDATA in Native Mode.

Another way is, FOS 6.1.x and EOS 9.7.x , here can the Brocade Operate as McDATA Mode mwith McDATA Switch in Native Mode.

Please Note, change the Mode, must all Zoning re-config.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the answer, that's what I needed to know. I'm trying to avoid downtime due to rezoning on the McData, which is why I'm trying to connect the new Brocade switches in McData mode. I'll see if I can get the necessary firmwares to make this happen. Unfortunately Brocade doesn't support their switches that are bought through resellers, and it has been nearly impossible to get simple firmware updates.

Matt

External Moderator

see here.

FabOS for the Brocade 5000

here for McDATA

have a Fun.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.