Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor
Accepted Solution

Airflow 6510 - must I replace the switch ?

Hi,

we just installed 2 new 6510. However both have wrong fan direction (back to front, we need front to back).

It took nearly 3 weeks for the company to get an answer. We should cancel the order send everything back

and get (much later...) new devices.

Isn't it possible just to exchange both power supplies ?

If the fans are not within the power supply - how can they exchanged if a fan fails ?

Bye, Peer

Valued Contributor

Re: Airflow 6510 - must I replace the switch ?

As far as I know, there's no something like "fan conversion kit". Technically it is possible, but nobody is doing that. Your switch serial number is now known to all the support lists and databases as back-to-front. Next time you'll have a power supply failure, support will send you the wrong replacement part, if your switch would be somehow "converted" into front-to-back.
External Moderator

@mpibgc @alexey.stepanov

->we just installed 2 new 6510. However both have wrong fan direction (back to front, 

you need simple to replace both Power Supply  with desired Inflate or Deflate airflow directions.

aks you Local SE or OEM Supplier, he can try to get a PS replacemnt. however keep in mind, Airflow direction must be specified by Order.

TechHelp24
External Moderator

Contributor

Thanks - that is what I wanted to know. The problem with the order is - a) it's not selectable (at our supplier) and b) it's not mentioned in the description ("model has powersupply XY or airflow goes from .. to ..).

So it was hard to notice ...

Thank you for all answers!
External Moderator

@mpibgc

-->>The problem with the order is - a) it's not selectable (at our supplier)

not sure where you order the Switches,  where is you supplier ? but I'm quite sure NetApp and EMC offer in they configurator both option

And I think the sam eis by HP, IBM and HDS

--->>....and b) it's not mentioned in the description ("model has powersupply XY or airflow goes from .. to ..).

is descritped as well in the Hardware Installation guide, in red below.

Brocade 6510 overview

The Brocade 6510 is a 48-port auto-sensing 2, 4, 8, or 16 Gbps as well as 10 Gbps Fibre Channel (FC) switch that delivers the latest Brocade single-chip architecture for Fibre Channel Storage Area Networks (SANs). The Brocade 6510 is an enterprise-class switch that is designed to handle the large-scale SAN requirements of an enterprise, and can also be used to address the SAN requirements of a small to medium-sized workgroup.

The Brocade 6510 provides 48 ports in a single (1U) height switch that enables the creation of very dense fabrics in a relatively small space.

The Brocade 6510 offers Ports on Demand (POD) licensing as well. “Base” models of the switch contain 24 ports, and up to two additional 12-port POD licenses can be purchased. The Brocade 6510 provides excellent overall value as the foundation of a SAN with the ability to grow with an organization’s SAN needs.

The Brocade 6510 supplies Reliability, Availability, and Serviceability (RAS) performance and scalability requirements of an enterprise switch along with interoperability and ease-of-use advantages.

The Brocade 6510 can also be configured in Access Gateway mode that lets you configure your Enterprise fabric to handle additional N_Ports instead of domains. By reducing the number of domain IDs and ports you simplify configuration and management in a large fabric.

Switches in AG mode are logically transparent to the host and the fabric. You can increase the number of hosts that have access to the fabric without increasing the number of switches.

The Brocade 6510 is less than 18 inches deep, allowing for greater installation flexibility. It also has airflow direction options.

You can order either port side exhaust (the default configuration) or nonport side exhaust airflow to accommodate specific installations.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Sorry, I did not mean the technical description, but the offer (from EMC).
But the last sentence (...default configuration...) - I did not read it - sorry, my fault.

Bye, Peer

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.