Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

6510 FC Switch (No POD License) Disabled

Hi all,

I'm looking to find out what this message means at the switchshow command (No POD License) Disabled.

I've got a 48 port FC 6510, the first 24 ports are ok, it's th esecond half, 25 - 47 (port 48) that show the (No POD License) Disabled. 

I'm guessing it's that those interfaces aren't licensed and if I wan't to use then an additional license is required?

Thank you all in advance for taking th etime to read and respond. 

External Moderator

Re: 6510 FC Switch (No POD License) Disabled

->I'm guessing it's that those interfaces aren't licensed and if I wan't to use then an additional license is required?

this is correct, in order to use additional port, you need POD License.

for the 6510, 12 Port POD license is available.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Awesome thanks,

How can I order a 12 POD license?

External Moderator

trrough you OEM or Reseller

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thanks agin!

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi I've got another question.

My swich has the first 23 ports (0 - 23) populated with SFPs and showing all ok, and the second 24 ports (24 - 47) showing no POD license disabled, all without an SFP.

Can I move one or more unused SFP from an interface in the first 23 interface group to an interface in the 24 - 47 group and have that interface come up and be usable?

Thanks.

External Moderator

[ Edited ]

rjarman@,

yes, you can move SFP from one licensed port/octet group to another not-licensed and manage those octet

with DPOD = Dynamic Ports on Demand Features ( from web-tools in Advance mode )

in example:

if you move the SFP from Port 16-23 to Port 40-47 the port become active but the Port 16-23 become inactive.

Form Fab OS 7.4.0 Software Licensing Guide

Dynamic Ports on Demand

The Dynamic Ports on Demand (POD) feature automatically assigns POD licenses from a pool of available licenses based on the server blade or switch installation.

The following platforms support Dynamic POD:

• Switches:
    • Brocade 6505
    • Brocade 6510
    • Brocade 6520
  • Blade server SAN I/O modules for bladed servers:
    • Brocade 5410
    • Brocade M5424
    • Brocade 5450
    • Brocade 5460
    • Brocade 5470
    • Brocade 5480
    • Brocade M6505
    • Brocade 6547
    • Brocade 6548

For the blade server SAN I/O modules, the Dynamic POD feature detects and assigns ports to a POD license only if the server blade is installed with an HBA present. A server blade that does not have a functioning HBA is treated as an inactive link during initial POD port assignment. For the non-server blade switches, the dynamic assignment occurs when an attached Fibre Channel link transitions to the "link active" state.

The Dynamic POD feature assigns the ports to the POD license as they come online. Typically, assignments are sequential, starting with the lowest port number. However, variations in the equipment attached to the ports can cause the ports to take different amounts of time to come online. This means that the port assignment order is not guaranteed.

If the switch detects more active links than allowed by the current POD licenses, then some ports will not be assigned a POD license. Ports that do not receive a POD assignment have a state of "No Sync" or "In Sync" ; these ports are not allowed to progress to the online state. Ports that cannot be brought online because of insufficient POD licenses have a state of "(No POD License) Disabled ". You can use the switchShow command to display the port states.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Fantastic thank you

New Contributor

Hi again

Last question I hope, Can you give me, or point me in the right direction for the 12 POD License Part Number?

Thanks.

External Moderator

Hi,

here the SKU as required

XBR-MIDR12POD-16G (Port-On-Demand, 12 port Upgrade)

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.