Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

48000 Trunking (over DWDM / Optera)

This last weekend we moved some circuits from one portion of the Optera configuration to another. All of the e-ports ISL's came up and linked but one of the 2-ISL Trunk groups failed to establish. We ended up with 1 trunk group (with 2 ISL's) as we would expect, but our other 2 ISL's (should be our second Trunk Group) came up as two separate trunk masters. When I ran a Trunkdebug I received the following :

midibmb3:admin> trunkdebug 224 225

port 224 and 225 can't trunk due to one of the following reasons:

ports are not same speed or valid speed

ports are not same long distance mode

local or remote ports are not in same port group

different between links length is greater than allowed<<br />midibmb3:admin&gt; trunkdebug 208 209*

port 208 and 209 connect to the switch 10:00:00:05:1e:36:0a:fe

*midibmb3:admin&gt; *

The first 3 conditions are not true as they are all 2g links, they are both configured LS and they are the same port groups. That leaves "Different between links length is greater then allowed" If one of the new ciruits had more attenuation could this be the casue of a length disparity? What is the differential that would casue this condition? Regards, Steve

New Contributor

Re: 48000 Trunking (over DWDM / Optera)

Hi, I had that issue with our dark fibre on our old M14 and the new 48000, but the reason for it is the lenghts must be within 400' to be equal. Ours are about 4km difference between old old path adn the new path. So they would form two ISL trunks, one over each path.

Ken

Occasional Contributor

Re: 48000 Trunking (over DWDM / Optera)

Ken, That confirms what we have found out and hope to correct this weekend. It looks like our DWDM vendor didn't swap over all circuits so we have a significant distance disparity on one of the trunks pairs. Thanks for the input. Regards, Steve

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook