Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

4100 Switch Help Needed - Newbie!

Hi all,

I have just got my first ever FC switch (4100) and I am connecting to a few Xserves and 1 x Xraid.

I haven't used a FC switch before so really need some pointers in the basic setup of the switch.

I do not need anything other than the switch to allow me to connect all the above together.

So first steps - everything is plugged into the switch, do I next have to login to the switch or should all the units start talking to each other straight off? (like an ethernet switch)

Sorry if this all sounds super basic but I have to start somewhere!

many thanks in advance

Rich

Occasional Contributor

Re: 4100 Switch Help Needed - Newbie!

BTW I am trying the default IP of http://10.77.77.77 to access the webtools and getting nothing (blank screen) Am I doing something wrong?

External Moderator

10.77.77.77 is the Standard IP.

Can you send a Ping to this address ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi, no I cannot

So chances are it is not on that IP, Correct?

Can I perform a  master reset?

External Moderator

OK, check please follow step by step:

1) have  the NIC Card in you PC  the correct IP ? Example 10.77.77.70

if no, configure the Address and try the Ping again.

2) is this switch NEW or Used ?

the IP 10.77.77.77 is the Default IP by a NEW switch, if this is Used, probable the preview Customer change the Default IP

if the IP Work, but not a webtools, procede as follow.

3) connect the switch with a Serial Cable, and connect to the switch with the Hyper Terminal.

Baud Rate: 9600

Data bits: 1

Stop bits: 1

Parity Type: None

Flow Control Type: XON/XOFF

this must work.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi, OK no joy, I cannot ping itSmiley Sad

The switch is used and I brought it from a firm that had gone bankrupt so I don't think there is any way I find out what the IP was changed to from them!

I am using Macs so a serial cable etc is a pain, is there no way I can hook up to a Mac via the ethernet? Can I not do a master reset to get the defaults back?

many thanks again

External Moderator

--->>> Can I not do a master reset to get the defaults back?

NO!

Before your can Reset the switch, must have a succesfully connection with a Serial Port.

do you have tested with a standard Windows PC ? ( no MAC )

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Ok, I'll have to try and borrow a PC laptop to try it on, please can you tell me exactly what to do as I hardly ever use windows!

Thanks

External Moderator

see my preview post nr. 4, as below.

if this don't work, please check with another Serial Cable, is possible your have a wrong cable.

3) connect the switch with a Serial Cable, and connect to the switch with the Hyper Terminal.

Baud Rate: 9600

Data bits: 1

Stop bits: 1

Parity Type: None

Flow Control Type: XON/XOFF

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

You will require a straight through (not a crossover) serial cable (DB9 female to female) and connect from the DB9 (male) serial port to a DB9 (male) com port on your laptop or PC. Set up a Hyper Terminal with the following values:

9600 Baud

8 bits

No parity

One stop bit

No hardware flow control (None)

I know that works for me.

Then power on the 4100 and you should see boot up on the screen, when all diags are completed you will come to the logon prompt. Enter "admin" and hopefully the password will be "password". If the password file has been reset to default, you will be prompted to change the passwords for the 4 available logons. Root, Factory, Admin and User. or control C to bypass and continue logon to switch. If you do change the passwords, make sure you note them! What ever you do, dont loose the root password.

Anyway, you will log on to the switch using admin, and enter the command ipaddrshow which will show you the IP address for the switch. You can then either change the IP address to what you require on the switch using the ipaddrset or change your laptop to reflect the same subnet as the switch. Then you will be able to use the web gui. Hope this helps.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.