Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

4100 Firmware Upgrade Problems

I have two 3800's and two 4100's.  I successfully upgraded the firmware on the 3800's with no problems.

But when I tried upgrading the 4100's from 5.1.0a to 5.2.1b it failed with the following error message:

"Cannot Download.   4100/v5.2.1b/SWBD32/release.plist   unable to access package list file

check whether the switch is supported by the requested firmware."

I used the same FTP server on both the 3800's and 4100's and same login and password.  I used the following path /4100/v5.2.1b/  both with the release.plist at the end of the path and without, each giving the same results.

Any suggestions on how to get the upgrade to work?

Thanks

External Moderator

Re: 4100 Firmware Upgrade Problems

do you start the Upgrade from webtools or from CLI with the firmwaredownload command ?

Is the FTP Server pointed to the Correct IP Adresse ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

I tried both logging in with web browser and doing the upgrade that way and also logging in with telnet using CLI.  With the browser it would start but after 30 seconds say it was complete but nothing would happen on status bar and no error message.  (This method worked fine on the 3800's)  I then logged in to the switch with telnet and used the firmwareupgrade command.  I did put in the correct address to the FTP server (checked multiple times) where the unzipped firmware files were located.  This was where I got the error I listed.

Does the v5.2.1b firmware directory on the FTP server and it's corresponding subdirecties have to be off the root or can it be one directory down from the root like I used?  /4100/v5.2.1b.

I didn't try connecting with a serial cable to log in...

Thanks

External Moderator

try a command firmwareshow, are both partition available ?

an you please post here the result of "savecore -l"

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Here are the results...

firmwareshow

Primary version: v5.1.0a

Secondary verion: v5.1.0a

savecore -l

No core or FFDC data files found!

Thanks

Occasional Contributor

Try with 4100/v5.2.1b/release.plist

External Moderator

utahman,

i believe, this is a Network problem with you PC.

I note in the past by some Customer, they PC are member from the domain, and some permission are not set correct.

If you Windows PC is a member from the Domain, login here as local, and tray the download now.

Are your sure the FTP is correct pointed ? Fixed IP Adress and correct Start Folder ?

can you send a Ping from the switch to the FTP and get answer ?

another problem can be the firmware package file is damaged, or you have a wrong file.

some FabOS Packed by Brocade are only intended for specific Switches,

By the v5.2.1b exist TWO Package, the one is oly valid for the Blade Switch 4020, the second is a General Package for all in the release Notes supported Switches.

is the size your package around 275 MB, is this the correct package you need.

my workaround, download the File now, unzip and restart the firmwaredownload from command line.

check the FTP is configured correct, and the FTP is fixed pointed by IP.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

I have a change control window next week at 5:00 AM so will take your suggestions and try it again.  I have downloaded everything again and created a different FTP server.  So we will see and then report back.

Thanks

Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I've just upgraded a switch with version 5.2.0 firmware and I got the same problem too, but I found how to fix it:

I had a folder structure set up on my PC containing lots of different firmware versions as follows:

C:\brocade\5.0.1a

C:\brocade\5.1.1

C:\brocade\5.2.0

C:\brocade\5.3.2a

etc.

I had configured my FTP server (FileZilla) to serve the folder C:\brocade so when you logged in by FTP and did an ls you'd see the folder structure inside c:\brocade.  According to the instructions in the Brocade Administration guide, at the firmwareDownload prompt (or using the webtools) all you need to do is specify the firmware folder (5.2.0 or 5.3.2a etc) and it should automatically select the correct switch model inside this and load the firmware.  Well I found that this doesn't work and you get the error that you've seen.

When I examined what commands the firmwareDownload programme was issuing to FileZilla I found that it expected to already be inside the correct firmware folder, or in otherwords, if you specified firmware 5.2.0, it expected the FTP server root to be in the folder c:\brocade\5.2.0.  It then does a cd <switch model> and gets the plist file. This is not how the Administration Guide says it should work.

What you need to do to fix this, is to configure your FTP software to serve the actual firmware folder (for example, c:\brocade\5.2.0).  Then on the firmwareDownload command or through Webtools, you specify the firmware version (5.2.0).  It should now be able to cd to the correct directory and download the firmware.

Regards,

Richard.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Richard.

That makes the most sense so far.  I had a feeling that was the case but couldn't bring myself to believe the documentation was wrong, and also ran out of my change control window for that evening and had to postpone any further attemps.

I will adjust my FTP server as you say for each upgrade and will let you know the results tomorrow.

Thanks

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook