Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

200-16E

Hi

I'm new to the brocade products, and seem to be struggling to find the information I need.

I have 4 200E at V6.1.0c switches and would like to do the following.

Connect 2 switches together to create 1 fabric and then the same with the other 2 switches, so in total I would have 4 switches but 2 fabrics. Then connect the two fabrics together.

Then I want to create 2 zones on each Fabric 1) SQL 2) Virtual Servers ports evenly split. then from the DS3400 which has 2 controllers in ( 4 Fibre connections in total ) split them into the correct zones across all 4 switches ( 2 Fabrics ) then from the 2 servers again with one controller in each ( 2 fibre Ports on each) split these across the 2 fabrics.

The result I would like to end up with is: If one complete fabric (2 switches) was lost there would be no loss of service, If one switch was lost no loss of service.

So it would have switch redundancy and fabric redundancy

Thanks in advance for any help advice

Phil:)

External Moderator

Re: 200-16E

Phil,

in short form, you will Build a Dul Fabric with Redundant Switches.

What is here you Question ?

Have all Switch a Fabric License ?

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

You need some training Phil. I too had similiar confusions when I was new to SAN. I'm just making an attempt here to demystify this.

• Each Storage controller has 2 ports

Slot-A1 and Slot-A2

Slot-B1 and Slot-B2

• Fabric A

Switch-A1

Switch-A2

• Fabric B

Switch-B1

Switch-B2

I would suggest the following architecture

Slot-A1 <- Switch-A1 <- ISL -> Switch-A2 ->Slot-B1

Slot-B2 <- Switch-B1 <- ISL -> Switch-B2 -> Slot-A2

Now if you connect a host with 2 HBA's, connect it to either switches Switch-A1-B1 OR Switch-A2-B2, an example of zoning is as follows

In Fabric A = { HBA-1 <-> Slot-A1} {HBA-1 <-> Slot-B1 }

In Fabric B = { HBA-2 <-> Slot-B2} {HBA-2 <-> Slot-A2 }

If you connect 2 Fabrics then you will merge them into a single fabric. For sharing of resources across large fabrics, you need a multiprotocol router, but for a small fabric like yours it does not make sense to invest in one.

Tech-help : Would be great if you can review the above design and offer your suggestions. And am just assuming that Phil wanted some help to draft an architecture for a dual fabric SAN

Contributor

Hi

many thanks for the replies, As for the training I do, but I feel this will probably come after I have got this working. I have attached a visio drawing of the setup I'm trying to achieve

to summarize:

I would Like to have switch and fabric redundancy All 4 switches are at V6.1.0.c they have all ports activated and full fabric licenses installed

There is Fabric A and fabric B they are not connected together, but switches 1 & 2 - in fabric A are and the same for fabric B with switches 3 &4

There are two switches in each fabric

There are two servers with a connections in to each switch / Fabric

I think the drawing will explain it.

There is the DS3400 with 2 controllers ( 4 fibre outputs ) one connection into each switch

The server will be doing different jobs , one has storage setup on to the DS300 for SQL and the other has storage setup for Virtual servers..

So I think I was right doing the port zoning and adding the ports in from each switch in one fabric ( switch 1 port 1 switch 2 port 1 ) of have I got it wrong and I only need to zone the link off between the two switches in each fabric ?

Once again many thanks for the help / advice people are posting

Phil:)

Contributor

Hello All Again

I have been looking at this problem again, as you all know I have 4 switches = 2 fabrics, the two switces are linked via a fibre cable and the port is an E port.

As there are two fabrics with connections from each server and from the DS3400.

The system works until I fail one fabric, could this be down to MPIO / DSM as the two fabrics don't know about each other but the servers should know about the multi-path to the storage ?

Just a thought

Phil

Contributor

Hello TechHelp24

Yes the switches have the full fabric licenses installed to all 4 switches. All 4 units are at V6.1.0c All 16 ports are activated and have modules in.

When the two switches are connect together Should I be able to see them via the WEB front end when connected to one of them ?

Phil

External Moderator

Microlise,

I am out of town, and dont hjave permanent e-Mail and Internet Acces.

I have download the Visio Draw, will be Edit and Upload here in a couple of Hours.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
External Moderator

Phil,

--->>> When the two switches are connect together Should I be able to see them via the WEB front end when connected to one of them ?

Yes, you must see the both Switch beetwen the same Fabric in the Web-Tools. Trough telnet, call the command "fabricshow" to see both switch are in the fabric.

It is all very simple.

Make sure all Switch have the correct PID Set ( and different Domain-ID )* Standard value is 0 you must set to 1 trough telnet, disable the switch with the command "switchdisable" -> then "configure" by the option Fabric select YES, and change the PID from 0 to 1, press enter until the prompt appear. Set "switchenable"

You must repeate this operation on all switch.

• in the same Fabric option, you see here the currect set Fabric ID, change by each each switch the Fabric ID like the Vision Draw i attached here.

Please note follow, by Dual Fabric you have two different and isolated config, example "cfgFABa" and "cfgFABb" any change/re-config in Fabric-A will not be commited to Fabric-B.

Finally, if you work with multipath, you need a Special Software for the Array like PowerPath from EMC. I assume this Software was delivered with the IBM Array ?

This config as descripted work, guaranted.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
External Moderator

Phil the Visio draw was forgot, sorry.

Is here attached.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Contributor

Hi TechHelp24

Many thanks for your assistance, I have now changed the Domain_ID's Fabric_A ( 1 & 2 ) fabric_B (3 & 4 ) as you suggested.

In order to get the switches to see each other I had to fun the "portcfgislmode" on port 15.

I can not find the command to check the PID , but looking at the documentation it would seem that V6.x.x.x is set to core by default.

No the switches are seeing each other I will move on with the rest of you suggestions

I will let you know how I get On

Phil:D

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook