Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

16GB Upgrade to DCX 8GB chassis?

Hi Folks,

The upgrade path from 8GB DCX to 16GB is not clear to me?

Providing a simple upgrade path to 16 Gbps for 8 Gbps Brocade DCX Backbone users

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/data_sheets/product_data_sheets/DCX_8510_DS.pdf

Do we keep the original chassis and swap just CP's and FC Blades or Is the “simple upgrade” a whole new chassis and new blades.

Sorry if this is documented and I missed it.

Thanks!

Bob MacLean

Storage Technology Consultant

Hewlett-Packard Co.

High Availability Solutions/Global Solutions Engineering

Andover, MA.

Bob.maclean@hp.com

Office: 978-474-2448,

BCFP,BCSD,BCSM,BCAF,EMCPA,

EMCISA,MCSE,CISA,ITIL(V3),HPCP

External Moderator

Re: 16GB Upgrade to DCX 8GB chassis?

I'm not 100% sure, but i think the chassis/backplane is not the same by First Generation DCX and NEW DCX-8510.

however from a Cost side, not make sense to Upgrade/Replaced just the CP , Core and Port Blade, 

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi and thanks for the feedback!

Looks like existing investment in dual DCX's almost fully populated with 8GB and FCoE blades

will be around for a while in my installation and 16GB upgrade will be later on in life as I learn

nothing appears to be compatible as some have hinted and not cost effective to keep chassis,

as you suggest if it was compatible. Was hoping for some sort phased approach to chassis 16GB upgrade.

Regards/Thanks,

Bob

External Moderator

Hi Bob,

as mentioned, I'm not 100% sure if both preview DCX and NEW DCX-8510-x use the same Chassis.

I know from Preview Director Generatios, 12000, 24000, and 48000, this was based on THREE Different Chassis Type.

I don't have at the moment the opportunity to Compare Both NEW and OLD DCX Chassis.

Maybe Brocade Engineering Support can answer such Question.

TechHelp24
External Moderator

Hi Bob,

small Update:

Preview DCX SwitchType is 62.x,  where x indicate BackPlane Revision

DCX-8510-8 SwitchType is 121.x where x indicate BackPlane revision

I think both DCX and DCX-8510 use different BackPlane.

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

According to the course doc,

DCX (8 and 16G) share the same CP8 blade, with a different CR blade depending on the Chassis (4 or 8 slot) and speed (16 or 8 Gbit).

To me that sounds like swapping your 8Gbit CR blade for an 16G one and you are good to go.

Putting 16 Gbit blades in your 8Gbit chassis is a no go according to the same docs.

External Moderator

--->>> According to the course doc, DCX (8 and 16G) share the same CP8 blade,....

Dion,

I post here my opinion and what I think about Chassis/Backplane Difference... betwen DCX and DCX-8510-x

And i have my doubt, that both OLD and NEW DCX use the same !

Second, when both DCX family use the same CP8, is a question follow:

How to work the 8510 as 16G ? and what with Oversubscription ?

Maybe we have for all Connected Device 16G between the same Port Blade but not from one Blade Slot to another one.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dion,

Thanks!

I'm still in the "Cloud" ;^)

Keep CP8 blades and add to empty 8510 chassis with new 16GB Blades in my interpretation

as I'm not sure of yiour implied details?

Regards,

Bob,

Valued Contributor

I don't know about the backplane and if they share that aswell.

I only repeat whats the courseware sais about the CP blade if I where sure about posting courseware screen's I would.

About your second question, i dont know, I can only think of CR blades are pushing the frames around (working on the data(flow) plane) while CP blades work on the control plane.

Regular Contributor

Hi all

I would add that "old" FC8-32 blades are not supported on 8510 chassis. Despite Brocade announced that when 8510 got out, this support has been removed and there should be a free replacement program FC8-32 -> FC8-32E.

Kind regards,

--

david

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.