Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

12k Firmware Upgrade issue from 4.1.x

Hi, We have been trying to upgrade the firmware on our 12k from 4.1.2b to 4.4.0d. It fails with a ftp time out and we put "release.plist" as the filename. After investigations we found that the release.plist file is in a subdir of the plateform in the firmware code. In this case in SWBD10. The 4.1.2b code in the system should know its platform and go and get from the correct subdir the release.plist file. However it doesnt work. We tried first go to 4.2.0c still the same. We did the same with another 12k we have which had the 4.2.0 code and without any issue upgraded. Now this may work if we give the /SWBD10/release.plist as the filename. But we dont like to do that on a production switch as its not in the instructions from brocade. Do any of Gurus have the same experiance.

Occasional Contributor

Re: 12k Firmware Upgrade issue from 4.1.x

Dont worry. We worked it out. We did change the IP address of the core switch 12k couple of weeks back. And we could ping all the four addresses so we left it there. Today because of this problem I tried to telnet to the standby CP and the telnet doesnt work. However to the active CP telnet works. For both the logical switches telnet works too. So means the IP address change has not fully refreshed the inet services on the CP. So we rebooted the stanby CP left side and initiated a failover. And then rebooted the right side and started the firmware upgrade and all worked fine. Apperently on some code levels we need to reboot after changing IP address. This was on 4.1.2b I never thought we needed to reboot. Anyway summary is that when we do a IP address change just need to check the ping, telnet for all addresses. Max.

Occasional Contributor

This is very interesting since I had the same issues just before New Year. We're ready to go and upgrade our 12000 from 4.2.0b to 4.4.0f. A day before the upgrade i noticed that telnet works for all the core switches ip addresses (Active CP, Switch0, Switch1) except for the Standby CP. However the Standby CP returns ping. I asked HP about it having concerns it will play a part in the upcoming fw upgrade. They don't know for sure but they felt this should not affect the fw upgrade at all. We did changed the ip addresses for our switches a month ago.

N/A

Did you resolve the issue yet? I have tried this upgrade to no avail as well.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook